Question

SBG6700-AC 5Ghz WIFI not working

• 26 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

At some point last year, something happened to my SBG6700-AC router/modem because I only see 2Ghz Wifi available in a list of wifi networks on my iPhone and PC laptop. I’ve logged in as admin to SBG6700-AC and made sure that both 2Ghz and 5Ghz are enabled and have different WIFI SID names. I’ve also done factory reset on the SBG6700-AC router. I’ve also made sure that WIFI Band Steering is not enabled. Any thoughts how to get 5Ghz working again? I have a new laptop and iPhone 14 so pretty sure that they support 5Ghz wifi.

My firmware version is D30GW-EAGLE-1.5.4.0-GA-10-NOSH

Both wireless radio and WMM QoS show enabled for 5Ghz.

Cable provider is Time Warner

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

the 5ghz might have went bad. If you have separate ssids setup, they’re set to broadcast, and a factory reset hasn’t fixed it its either. 

1. the wireless chip went bad
  2. you’re device (phone/laptop) doesn’t have 5ghz
  3. you’ve selected a channel on the router not in your region
Badge

Options 2 and 3 are definitely not that case because I’ve had this same modem working for at least 5 years at 5 GHz with different laptops and iphones including these ones. So nothing to do with region or laptop and iPhone itself.

How would I confirm that 5Ghz wireless chip went bad?  Running diagnostic in the admin mode on the portal doesnt seem to show anything failing. Factory reset didnt help. Is it worth trying a different 5Ghz range or different security key?