Solved

SBG6782-ACH - Intermittent internet connection

• 4 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’ve had the SBG6782-ACH for a number of years but lately have had challenges with internet connectivity dropping (streaming TV buffering, computer slow to connect, etc).  I’ve had Cox check out in-coming lines and found speeds in good working order.  So it seems that it’s time for a new modem/router.  I’m not a gamer, but work from home and need reliable internet connection.

my question is…Should I just purchase another SBG6782-ACH?  I may be overpaying for my needs but it’s been a good unit, it just got tired and started to break down.

icon

Best answer by plemans 4 March 2024, 18:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I sure wouldn’t. 

I’d look for at least a docsis 3.1 device as many ISP’s are moving to needing docsis 3.1 for half decent speed tiers. 

For arris, I’d look at the SBG8300 or the G36/G34 if you’re wanting a combo device

Badge

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a combo device.  Is that a modem & router in one?  If so, that is a feature I do need.  Additionally, I like that my current one has multiple settings for dedicated use.  Which model has that?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Yes a combo device is an all-in-one device. Its not usually recommended because the ISP’s have to update them whenever there is new firmware. And ISP’s don’t like doing that so you end up running outdated firmware. Its fine if you’re the “set and forget” type of person but the more advanced users, get a separate modem from the router. 

“my current one has multiple settings for dedicated use”. Not sure exactly what you mean by that statement. What setting specifically are you looking for? 
most of the newer modem/routers will have the same/similar features to the older ones. 

And you’re old one was over a decade old. So when you upgrade, I’d go for something from a newer generation since you tend to keep your devices longer