Solved

Arris S33v2 Xfinity Issue and modem rebooting on its own.

• 2 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I posted on here a while back about my S33v2 randomly rebooting several times a day. I have been chatting with some Xfinity agents on Reddit and they lead me to an interesting discovery. While the S33 is on the list of recommended devices, the S33v2 is merely listed as compatible and not recommended.

According to the internet, the v2 was released in mid-2021. Despite a different chipset and firmware, there is little difference between the two. Why has Xfinity not certified the v2 version in the last 2.5 years when it is clearly the newer product and probably the only one you can actually buy for the last 2.5 years?

My issue is clearly something to do with this modem as I had been using Xfinity’s XB8-T modem for the last month and had zero issues.

Is there anything I can do about this except just keep using the XB8-T and eating the $15 bucks a month?

If they havent certified the S33v2 in 2.5 years, is there a decent chance they will ever do it?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 6 February 2024, 01:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Badge +1

Probably because it sounds like the S33 v.2 is a step down.  I’m getting notifications from Xfinity that I should upgrade my hardware from the S33 because 2gbps speed is on-the-way.  They may just want everyone to get the G36 or similar.  I’m not inclined to change just yet - in fact, I may just decide to get another provider.

Badge +2

Pretty wild if the S33v2 is a step down if that is really the only one you can buy now. 

Consider yourself lucky that you have a choice in providers...I am stuck with Xfinity unless I want DSL.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

S33v2 is the updated version of S33. Also, it is not mentioned on Xfinity site as not recommended.

Since the modem is rebooting on its own, could you let us know, how many times approximately the modem is rebooting?

Also, I suggest you to check whether the modem is rebooting without co-axial cable.

Badge +2

The S33 is recommended. The S33v2 is "supported" based on the most current modem list. There is clearly a difference. Neither is supported on the next Gen list. The xfinity x8 modem I had worked great. Just replaced that with a hitron coda56 that is also great. And it is next Gen supported and cheaper. 

The problem is the Amazon page still leads one to believe they are selling the S33 when in reality you get the S33v2. Pretending there is no difference between these two modems is incorrect.

I was able to do a warranty replacement for my S33v2. Hopefully I can seel the NiB one for a decent price and recoup some cost. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The S33 does not support fast upload speed and Xfinity only approved G54 for their fast upload plan (Next Gen Tier).  

To assist you further, could you let us know, how many times approximately the modem is rebooting?

Please check whether the modem is rebooting without co-axial cable.

Badge +2

I went through all of this last time. The S33v2 and whatever Xfinity is sending to my house do not get along. I have my warranty replacement coming, which I can then sell to someone else.

If you have Xfinity and you want a Next Gen Tier router, just get the Hitron CODA56.