Solved

Does the S33 support connection to an spf+ port using a transceiver to allow connecting with an RJ45 CAT 6A cable?

• 1 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

SERVICE PROVIDER = COX, 2GB SUPER FAST SERVICE

CABLE MODEM = ARRIS S33, connecting to the router using the 2.5 Gbps port

ROUTER = NIGHTHAWK XR700

In order to get the use out of 2.5Gbps service from COX, I have to use the 10 Gbps SPF+ port on my router, else I will still be bottlenecked by the 1Gbps port. I purchased an SPF + transceiver (2 different ones) that both say they are compatible with my Nighthawk/Netgear.

When I try to connect this together, I keep getting an error indicating that I cannot get connected to my ISP aka Cox. Put the cable back into the 1Gbps port on the Nighthawk and all is well. 

So I have a few hypothesis:

1. Arris S33 will not work with an SPF+ transceiver
  2. Cox will not work with an SPF+ transceiver
  3. Both transceivers are defective though I do get clear link light activity from both the Arris and the Nighthawk using the CAT 6A cable (I have also tried different cables)
  4. I have misconfigured my router somehow (although I do have it set to read the SPF+ 10Gbps port vs. the 1Gbps and have tried it with both DAC turned on and off)

It feels to me like this is really more of an issue with 1 or 2. Does anyone have their Arris S33 working with Cox AND using a router with an SPF module in it?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 15 November 2023, 01:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

I have not done this but a couple of thoughts. 

1. Cox should not know about anything downstream from the S33
  2. Which Nighthawk do you have? I’m not seeing one that has SFP+ on the WAN side. Would it make sense to go with a unit that supports 2.5 gbps directly?
Badge

ROUTER = NIGHTHAWK XR700

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Thanks! After chasing this a little further, I’m not going to be much help. I think you just want to use the link aggregation feature on the S33, not an SFP tranceiver, but I’ve never gotten into either deeply enough to be helpful. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

S33 is a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem best for wired internet speed plans up to 2.5 Gbps.

This modem provides internet through either of the ports 1Gbps or 2.5 Gbps depending on the Internet Service Provider Speed Plan. 

This modem can be connected either to a Router for Wi-Fi Connection and Computer or Laptop for wired connection

To check on S33 Link Aggregation, it doesn't support the same

Badge

I’m wondering about the response of the moderator….as this may relate to the issue I’m having as well in a different post. 

Why would the network provider know/care what port is used on the S33, and what does that have to do with the plan?

The port speed is simply (I think) the physical connectivity between the modem and your router and is independent of the bandwidth purchased from the network provider.  So, if you have a 500M plan and connect at 2.4G, you’re throttled by the plan.  On the other hand, if you have a 2G plan and connect at 1G, you’re throttled by the port connection.

I don’t believe DOCSIS x.x has any knowledge of the port-side connectivity, at least such that it’s enabling one port or the other?