Solved

Internet randomly drops and speeds are slow - S33

• 7 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

S33 & Xfinity gigabyte plan

Past few days  I have been experiencing frequent outages. Usually a reboot of the modem and routers resolves it but the past few times the speeds are not coming back to what they should be. I took a look out the downstream channels and saw a lot of corrections and uncorrectable(s). This screen shot was taken with a modem uptime of about 20 minutes. 

Spoke with Xfinity rep and basically said everything is good on their end and to contact manufacturer. 

If anyone could provide any suggestions I am all ears. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 9 February 2024, 01:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Basically, intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually, out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider. So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further.

Here we need to check the way the signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly. First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Cable-Signal-Levels