Solved

SB 6190 intermittent internet connection while connecting with SONOS or viewing videos on youtube

• 13 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I am currently using a 3 yr old SB6190 modem with AC1300 Linksys mesh routers(3).  Over the last 8 months, I’ve been experiencing intermittent internet loss lasting from 15 sec to 5 minutes.  These occurrences are most notable when streaming music through SONOS or viewing videos on YouTube, and also while on the internet using my iPhone. The modem is DOCSIS 3.0.  I talked to xFinity and all is good on their end(according to them).  After investigating, I understand that the problem MAY lie in the fact that xFinity has switched to DOCSIS 3.1.  Would the switch cause constant internet interruptions?   I’m trying to understand whether it’s the modem or the routers that are causing these issues.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 16 November 2023, 00:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6190 has the best docsis 3.0 specs you can get. 

And xfinity’s first response is always “its not the line”. 

Do you have a copy of the cable connections page and event logs? Those help us check the line. 

Badge

I do not have a copy of the cable connections and event logs.  How do I obtain these?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As mentioned, you are experiencing intermittent internet connection while connecting with SONOS or viewing videos on YouTube, also on your iPhone through Wi-Fi connection.

SB6190 is a cable modem and there is no inbuilt Wi-Fi on it. To make sure all the signals are in range, let me share you the link to check the cable signals.

To check the same, follow the steps in the below given link.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Cable-Signal-Levels

If all the cable signal levels are in range, then I suggest you to contact your router’s manufacturer for further assistance.

Badge

I apologize getting back to you so late……….been traveling.  I checked the cable signal levels with the enclosed results:

From what I can tell, the signal levels seem to be OK.  Please review and let me know if there are any issues that you see with the Upstream/Downstream channels.

Thanks for all your help, Mike DG

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Thank you for sharing the cable signal levels, it's all in the acceptable range. The modem is working fine.

I suggest you to contact your router’s manufacturer to get assistance for intermittent issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

How long was the uptime on those cable connections page? You have errors on every channel but if its been running for weeks without a reboot, its not a big deal. If thats after an hour, then it could be line related. 

Badge

The channel status(snapshot) shown was for about a minute.  On a daily basis, the internet connection is relatively stable with some interruptions that occur intermittently for about 30-60 seconds each time.  The longest has been 5 minutes. The interruptions that I have noticed occur daily at certain times in the morning and around 9 PM.  Thanks for your reply.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

When you get the issue, then get a screensnip. The modem can have issues on specific channels that change and so its hard to use just the cable connections page to diagnose