Solved

SURFboard SB6190 Died just past warranty

• 9 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

My SURFboard SB6190 Died just after the warranty expired. I have never had a modem fail. They have always lasted a few years until I had to update because it was out of date. No lights, no nothing. Completely dead. This one only lasted a little over a year! I didn’t put it into service immediately after purchase. I wanted to see if you guys wanted to help me out somehow. Not very inclined to get another Arris with such a short life! Any suggestions or help you can offer??

Thanks

Steve

Home and business owner with multiple modems

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 23 February 2024, 00:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If the modem is under warranty we can definitely check and test the modem on call support to provide you the warranty claim since your device is out of warranty and you mentioned that there is no light on the modem that shows your modem is not receiving power so you can try using different power cable or different power outlet and performing hard reset on the modem and if still  if the device is not turned on you need to get new device.

Badge

Yes, we tried another power adapter and it still didn’t work. I didn’t need you to quote the warranty. I was just giving you the opportunity to do the right thing and offer me a refurbished unit or something because your Arris Surfboard modem only lasted 20 months in service. Do you really want to make me buy a new one for about $90 When you could, do the right thing, replace it at your cost of $10 or $20, stand behind your product, and keep me as a customer paying hundreds of dollars for Arris products for years to come? Hoping someone there would want to fulfill the spirit of your warranty by replacing an item that failed far before it should have. It is worth saving your Name and future sales for $20! Right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A couple things. 

1. you tested the power supply. Nice. Check the connection internally. I had one of my kids knock mine off a stand and break the internal connector.  A little solder and it works fine again. 
  2. If it did fail, its not always related to hardware. To hot of a signal from the ISP can make them run hotter. (not always). so when you connect whatever you replace it with, check the incoming signal level to make sure its not running to high
  3. when you say you had to “update because it was out of date” it makes me curious if you’re talking update the device hardware of if they were doing a firmware update. 
  4. If you do update, I’d ensure you get something docsis 3.1 that does mid/high split. These are the next gen speeds that ensure you’ll have long term speeds and increased uploads. Xfinity only has probably 6x devices approved right now so its worth checking with your isp. 
Badge

Thanks plemans,

We will take a closer look at that.

Thanks for the tips!

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

one other thought I had goes with the power supply. I know you said you tried another one but check the power output on the one you tried or the old one. I had one of my kids plug a different supply into one of my devices once and it didn’t work. I was lucky and it didn’t fry it so I can install the original and it worked fine. 

I have the exact issue.  My modems stopped working. No lights.  My modem’s usually last 2 years or more before I upgrade.  

I did the rest. I changed power supply. Nothing 

any help appreciated 

thank you 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I have the exact issue.  My modems stopped working. No lights.  My modem’s usually last 2 years or more before I upgrade.  

I did the rest. I changed power supply. Nothing 

any help appreciated 

thank you 

Since you already with the factory reset and different power outlet, I suggest you visit www.arris.com/consumersuppport for more information.

Warranty inquiries are handled by Consumer Support.

Badge

Dear Arris Moderator Team,

What is the point of steering me to the Consumer Support Page if nobody at Arris will talk to you about your issues if it is a day past your warranty? like my grandma would say “Why, I never..!”

I have multiple Arris products and thought I ought to at least be permitted to chat with someone on staff, even if they don’t want to talk by phone.  So far I am only getting help from some good, generous folks in the Community whom I assume you don’t even pay for the time they spend helping your customers!

Letting helpful, but unpaid, people take care of your customers is a genius idea!... Evil genius! 

Talk to me, or hook me up with a chat with one of your own people instead of running your customers hither, thither and yon, everywhere but to an actual person on staff.

The modem died after 18 months of service and you can’t even get someone to say “No Sir, we’re sorry about that but we have a strict policy to not talk to anyone, for any reason, once your product is two years old. I’ll have to hang up now immediately before I get fired. Thanks again for your business!”

I am tempted to buy another ARRIS Surfboard modem just for the satisfaction of getting past your barrier of insulation from your customers who are left out in the cold with a stone dead modem. But that would play into your diabolical scheme of forcing us to replace crappy quality products instead of helping us get a reasonable life out of it.

Congratulations on building such an amazing, impenetrable firewall against your customers who are a day past warranty. Great use of your technology! Spend a million on security from your customers instead of sending me a $20 replacement modem. Assuming your cost can’t be more than that, given it’s performance.

Send me that link to chat, and maybe a $5 refurbished modem, and all is forgiven! 

Then you will still be known as ARRIS!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As you had already mentioned that the modem as no power and completely dead also out of warranty so we suggested proper trouble shooting steps and also to purchase a new modem for further internet .

For more clarifications please contact arris.com/consumersupport.