Question

New Ooma Telo Won't Connect With Arris SB8200

• 5 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’ve had an Ooma Telo VOIP router for making phone calls for over a decade.  Recently my Ooma Telo started acting up, requiring frequent reboots to get my phone system to work. In response I ordered a new Ooma Telo but was unable to get it to work with my Arris 8200. After three hours of phone calls to the technical support folks at Ooma, I was sent the following instructions:

“Please also check and make sure that the firewall on your modem and/or router have been disabled. Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP and TCP 

So you need to make sure those service ports are open on your internet connection”

Has anyone else encountered this difficulty? My first thought was that the new Ooma Telo might be defective.

2 replies

Badge

After spending a total of five hours over three days with the Ooma customer support folks who were unable to resolve the problem spelled out above, I’ve had a breakthrough.  I finally talked to a technical support person who suggested that I remove the ethernet cable to the Telo from Port 1 to Port 2 on the back of the Arris SB8200. As a result the Ooma Telo worked immediately. She explained that occurred because Port 1 is apparently configured in a way that is incompatible with a newer model Telo (although it was compatible with my prior decade-old Telo), but Port 2 isn’t configured in that same way, allowing the Telo to work normally.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You need to go modem---->router---->ooma device. 

If you direct connect the ooma, your router won’t get an ip address. 

Or if it does, the ooma won’t.