Solved

Arris Surboard Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router - SBG6950AC2

• 20 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hello

My Arris Wi-Fi router is working fine. However, I’d like to use the Ethernet ports on 2 devices for hardwire connections. In the past, I did not have any issues with hardwire but for some reason(s) I cannot get a hardwire connection for my Fire Stick and Max Free Streaming TV box. I did not have this issue before. 

I’m using an Amazon adapter for the Fire Stick which worked before. But when I check the Fire Stick Network, it shows I’m connected only to my home Wi-Fi and not as a hard-wired connection. 

I’ve also noticed there is no Ethernet Cable on the Arris router. Should there be one?

I’m using a CAT8 ethernet cable on both devices. Wondering if the CAT9 cable is compatible with the devices. 

Do you recommend I reset the Arris Router?

I would appreciate it if you could provide me with some information and suggestions to get this matter resolved. 

Thank you so much. 

P/N: SBG00DA76950B 

icon

Best answer by plemans 21 October 2023, 14:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’m a bit confused, you say you have them connected but then say “there’s no ethernet cable on the arris router”. 

but then you say you’re using cat8. 

True Cat8 cables don’t have the standard RJ45 jack as they include extra shielding that can cause issues with consumer equipment. I’ve seen numerous posts (not on here) about cat 8 causing connections issues on consumer gear. 

Got some Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable sitting around? If so, try that. 

Badge

It’s funny, I reside in 2 locations CA and FL.

I use the same equipment in California as in Florida, and everything seems to work excellently in California. 

The CAT8 ethernet cable fits fine in the Arris router and Amazon Fire Stick adapter. 

I took your advice and used a CAT 6 ethernet cable, restarted the Fire Stick and I am still NOT getting a Hardwire connection on my Fire Stick Network. It still indicates I’m using my home Wi-Fi 5G connection. Although I will admit the bandwidth on the Wi-Fi is fine and I have NOT experienced NO Buffering. 

However, I still would prefer the have a Hardwire connection from the Arris Router ethernet ports. 

I have a strong feeling this is going to be a very complicated task with no solutions, 

Considering both my Fire Stick and MAX Free streaming T.V. box are having the issue of Hardwiring, my best guess is the Arris router is partially the issue. 

Perhaps if I reset the Arris router and disconnect the router for a minute I may get some better results. 

Need more help. 

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

but the max streaming box works? 

did you re-run the setup on the firestick? Maybe its an issue with it or the adapter. 

Do other hardwired (other than the max) have issues hardwired?

Badge

Yes, the Max Free Streaming Box is currently working fine via Wi-Fi and NOT hardwired. With the MAX Free Streaming box, I do NOT use an adapter instead I have a direct connection from the Max streaming box to the Arris router. 

So this leaves out the Amazon adapter as NOT the problem. I’ve used the Amazon Fire Stick adapter in the past without issues. 

I’m convinced the issue is with the Arris Router. 

As you can see from the below photo, the Max Free streaming T.V. box is used for the first ethernet port. 

The Fire Stick is used for the second ethernet port below. Both Ethernet cables are CAT8. 

Also, I’m surprised this Arris Surfboard router does NOT have an Ethernet cable. Most of the YouTube videos I’ve watched have a special port for the Ethernet cable. 

Perhaps I should contact my IPS Internet service provider for answers. 

Just looking at all my options. Looking forward to more ideas and possible solutions. 

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

what do you mean it doesn’t have an ethernet cable? 

There’s 4x ports on it. 

did you try different devices to see if they work? 

Did you try other ports to see if they work? 

Badge

What I meant was generally the (ISP) Internet Service Provider applies a special ethernet cable to the router. In my case, I don’t have a special ethernet cable applied to the router by the ISP. I will need to contact my ISP. I have only the 2 ethernet cables to which I have applied for the Fire TV stick and Max Free Streaming Box. 

I took your suggestions and tried using other devices for the Arris Router. I used my laptop and iPad and used an ethernet cable to the Arris router and it did not acknowledge nor it did work. I used 3 different ethernet router ports and all my other devices did NOT connect as a Hardwire to the Arris router. 

I’m now convinced the Arris router is the issue. 

If you have other suggestions, please feel free to suggest them.

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you purchased the modem/router, you can open an RMA with arris. If you’re renting it, the ISP would be the one to address it with

Badge

How does the Return material authorization (RMA) work?

I purchased the router/modem in April 2022. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

You will get the new device with the current modem's warranty if you file a warranty claim.

You have to activate the replacement device with your internet service provider as soon as you receive it.