Solved

Intermittent drops Xfinity using SBG6950AC2

• 25 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Recently, I’ve noticed I lose connectivity to Xfinity for short periods of time.  To try and narrow down the point of failure, I set up continuous IPv4 pings to google.com, the first hop in a tracert to the internet, and my local gateway (192.168.0.1).

When the issue occurs, I first see dropped pings to google and the tracert first hop.  After a few dropped packets, I see drops to my local gateway as well.  The loss of packets to the local gateway surprised me but I’m speculating the Arris SBG6950AC2 modem may be reacquiring its IP config when the connectivity drops.

The Xfinity bot doesn’t detect an issue on their end.  Signal levels seem reasonable based on what they were when I first got the service.   The Arris log shows RCS Partial Service, SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync, and Lost MDD Timeout errors.

I own the modem and was intending to update the firmware if necessary but discovered on this forum that the ISP is responsible for maintaining the firmware on the device and I don’t even have the capability to update it.

Any suggestions to help stabilize the connection would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 29 December 2023, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Badge

Since writing the first entry, I checked the log and saw the FEC error counters have incremented since I cleared them earlier this morning.  I assume this is relevant as well.

Badge

It seems Xfinity did something as the errors have stopped as of this morning and the power levels are much better.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing with intermittent internet connection, I suggest you to check the cable signals.

You shared only downstream channels, I suggest you to share the upstream channels to make sure all the signals are in range.

Badge

Here’s a snap shot with both up and down stats.  I also pasted the log.  How can I check the cable signal other than looking at the modem stats?

Since pasting the original comment, I’ve spoken with Xfinity and, as I expected, they did some things and said it’s likely my modem.  They did credit my account for the cost of a month rental of a modem.  I’ve arranged to start renting a modem and am going to pick it up today.  I’ll swap that modem and (if that doesn’ t fix it) commence with troubleshooting where they own equipment end to end.  Once the issue is fixed, my intent is to go back to my modem (assuming that it’s not where the issue lies).

Thanks for your input.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

As you mentioned the downstream channels and upstream channels signal levels, Under downstream channels all the signals are in range but for the upstream channels power level should be greater than 45Dbmv. 

Since you already contacted your internet service provider and got a rental modem, Warranty inquiries are handled by Consumer Support.

I suggest you to visit www.arris.com/consumesupport for more information.