F.A.Q.

G34/G36 Intermittent Connectivity On Xfinity Network

• 17 June 2023
  • 62 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thank you to the community members who have reported intermittent connectivity with their G34 and G36 devices on their Xfinity Internet service.  Recent Service Provider upgrades to their network for DOCSIS 3.1 higher upstream capabilities as well as preparation for DOCSIS 4.0 deployment have created possible issues with certain devices on certain upgraded networks – across all DOCSIS device manufacturers – that are impacting stability and performance. 

We are committed to resolving this matter.  We are working with Xfinity on a long-term solution to update the firmware and will provide an update when this is completed as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, the current workaround is to power cycle the G34 or G36 device to regain Internet connection.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this.

UPDATE 12/12/23: With the recent update to the firmware of our SURFboard G36 gateway - specifically updated to Xfinity users,  a potential Wi-Fi performance issue has been seen. Under certain conditions, the 5GHz band is no longer seen by client devices forcing client devices to connect to 2.4GHz band only.  We are working with Comcast Xfinity service and all other service providers to address the issue. We expect an update to be rolled out by Thursday December 14.  If you encounter an issue,  please restart the device for the update to take place directly. 

UPDATE 11/16/23: Xfinity is pushing firmware update version 01.05 to G34 and G36 units that are impacted by their network upgrade.   We expect the update to complete by the end of November.  You can find your firmware version on the Login page listed as Software Image Name.

Thank you for your patience.  

62 replies

I just bought one of these…….

Hi,

I live in the SF Bay Area, while a good amount of these issues are resolved there is an issue with packets being received that causes two of my favorite on line radio services to keep faltering (SOMAFM and Smooth Jazz Tampa Bay).  Are there any tweaks that I could enable or disable in my Arris settings that I access via my browser or is this work that XFinity still ongoing?  

Also why are you putting up warnings about browsers?  Brave and Firefox are both built off of the same code as Chrome so that makes no sense to me.  I use Brave and will not install Chrome as it’s not needed.  

Thanks so much

Richard 

Hello!

Is there a resolution for this yet? I have the G34 and only my 2.4 GHZ band drops. This is especially frustrating because this is the band all of my smart devices are connected to. I got the G34 instead of using the xfinity modem explicitly for the ability to be able to split the bands. It’s very disheartening that there are always so many issues. 

Thank you,

Chioma 

Purchased an Arris G34 to replace our old Motorola G7700. The G34 worked perfectly the first day. The next day, all of our smart home devices that use the 2.4 ghz wifi were offline. You could connect to the 2.4 band but you had no internet connection or really slow connection. After spending 2 more days attempting to restore connection to the internet on the 2.4 ghz, using all of the troubleshooting tips and instructions, still doesn’t work. I’m returning it to Amazon. The 5 GHz wifi works perfectly, but we have several devices that will only work with 2.4 GHz so we can’t keep it. Our ISP is Cox. 

Badge +2

Hi,

I live in the SF Bay Area, while a good amount of these issues are resolved there is an issue with packets being received that causes two of my favorite on line radio services to keep faltering (SOMAFM and Smooth Jazz Tampa Bay).  Are there any tweaks that I could enable or disable in my Arris settings that I access via my browser or is this work that XFinity still ongoing?  

Also why are you putting up warnings about browsers?  Brave and Firefox are both built off of the same code as Chrome so that makes no sense to me.  I use Brave and will not install Chrome as it’s not needed.  

Thanks so much

Richard 

Happens with Chrome at the latest version as well.

This is fine for intermittent connections issues, but what about those of us that are currently getting 25% of the speeds that our providers offer us? Is there a current workaround for this short of changing modems entirely?

Any update on this?

Hi All,

After a few months of trying to get the Arris G36/34 to work, I found there is a new list of 'Recommended' devices for Xfinity internet plans that is different from the list of 'Compatible' devices. The G36/34 is not on the 'Recommended' List. I returned and got the Arris SBG8300, which is on the 'Recommended' list.

All issues disappeared with SBG8300, and internet works better than ever.

Is there an update by Arris on this issue? It sure would be swell if my $300 modem/router actually worked. Thanks,

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience on this matter.  We will provide an update on this post once we have one available. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I'm having this same issue but my isp is Optimum. Are you still working to fix this issue?

Hello @Linthe14

The connectivity issue and firmware fix is only for Xfinity service and not applicable to other service providers.  I’ll move your comment to a new topic.

Badge

3 months. Definitely never purchasing Arris again. Too late, already lost.

If you require ISP help to solve issues, and your relationships are so bad that it takes over 3 months, then why would I ever use you? Improve your relations or rework things to not rely on them.  We need more regulations to keep these companies with near monopolies from screwing us over.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m glad there is a fix in the works, unfortunately I paid $150 for a Xfinity tech to come out and “fix” my problem.. Now I only have the reboot once every 2 weeks instead of 2 days.. 

Is there an update on the fix?  I’ve ordered a different one.  If there is no fix then I’ll just return to Amazon.

I have Xfinity and after spending days resetting all my google Devices and fighting the reboot a couple times a day, I’m frustrated beyond help.

Badge

I am so frustrated with this modem. Does anyone know if it’s possible to add a separate router to this router/modem. I’m wondering if that would help the intermittent connection? It’s been going on for months. This is still under warranty but I bought it at best buys, I don’t think they will take it back.

Badge +1

I have an SVG2482 phone enabled. I am completely blowing through data using my phone as a hotspot. I can’t even get through a 30 minute meeting. It constantly restarts. Four months ago you post about a fix. Essentially, we shouldn’t buy Arris because you won’t replace defunct units that don’t work. I’m stuck with suddenly have no internet for work. 

Im so done with this $300 dollar Modem. I drop 6+ times a day.  Going to the dark side going to go get a Xfinity modem and see if that solves this. Stay tuned. 

This is ridiculous. What’s the timeline to getting this fixed? 

This seems like this should fall under some kind of warranty coverage since the device no longer works with our ISP as that was the sole reason to buy this moden/router. 

@SURFboard Support please comment on how we can go forward with getting warranty coverage for this faulty product of yours. I can confirm that my device still falls under warranty until 2024. 

Thank you to the community members who have reported intermittent connectivity with their G34 and G36 devices on their Xfinity Internet service.  Recent Service Provider upgrades to their network for DOCSIS 3.1 higher upstream capabilities as well as preparation for DOCSIS 4.0 deployment have created possible issues with certain devices on certain upgraded networks – across all DOCSIS device manufacturers – that are impacting stability and performance. 

We are committed to resolving this matter.  We are working with Xfinity on a long-term solution to update the firmware and will provide an update when this is completed as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, the current workaround is to power cycle the G34 or G36 device to regain Internet connection.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this.

When will we receive an update on the firmware? 

Xfinity router has fixed my problems.... bs just bs. 

I started having issues (Comcast Xfinity with G36) a couple of days ago and have tried to reset my modem router to no avail, both turning off/on power and performing  a hard reset. My connection with Xfinity remains dead. Might else might work?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Xfinity is pushing firmware update version 01.05 to G34 and G36 units that are impacted by their network upgrade.   We expect the update to complete by the end of November.  You can find your firmware version on the Login page listed as Software Image Name.

Badge

My software shows AR01.05.020.04.01_083123_735.NCS.20, which is what is shown in the box above. I assume this is the new software Xfinity pushed to it? I had so many issues already with this router and now over the last few days, my 5ghz disappears from my devices randomly and won’t show up until I reboot it. I have to leave it unplugged for at least 30 sec, and then it takes a good 5-10 minutes for it to show up again. I already have it on a timer so it reboots in the middle of the night, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, and I still have to cycle it again to get 5Ghz to show up again. This is infuriating. 

UPDATE 11/16/23: Xfinity is pushing firmware update version 01.05 to G34 and G36 units that are impacted by their network upgrade.   We expect the update to complete by the end of November.  You can find your firmware version on the Login page listed as Software Image Name.

The new firmware update didn't do anything to help 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

When these connection issues started happening many months ago I received an email from Xfinity. Apparently the G36 modem was not working with Xfinity’s newly 
upgrades to 10G and they offered to me their XB8 modem rent free for a year. Since i work from home i had no choice because they told me that a fix was 6months away. But actually i am finding the XB8 very rock solid and also the 2.5gb port works with no issues through a network switch. 

Plus, Xfinity support was alot more enjoyable to work with than Arris support.
Twice I was on the phone with Arris support and twice they hung up on me, never heard from them again..