F.A.Q.

G34/G36 Intermittent Connectivity On Xfinity Network

• 17 June 2023
  • 62 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thank you to the community members who have reported intermittent connectivity with their G34 and G36 devices on their Xfinity Internet service.  Recent Service Provider upgrades to their network for DOCSIS 3.1 higher upstream capabilities as well as preparation for DOCSIS 4.0 deployment have created possible issues with certain devices on certain upgraded networks – across all DOCSIS device manufacturers – that are impacting stability and performance. 

We are committed to resolving this matter.  We are working with Xfinity on a long-term solution to update the firmware and will provide an update when this is completed as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, the current workaround is to power cycle the G34 or G36 device to regain Internet connection.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this.

UPDATE 12/12/23: With the recent update to the firmware of our SURFboard G36 gateway - specifically updated to Xfinity users,  a potential Wi-Fi performance issue has been seen. Under certain conditions, the 5GHz band is no longer seen by client devices forcing client devices to connect to 2.4GHz band only.  We are working with Comcast Xfinity service and all other service providers to address the issue. We expect an update to be rolled out by Thursday December 14.  If you encounter an issue,  please restart the device for the update to take place directly. 

UPDATE 11/16/23: Xfinity is pushing firmware update version 01.05 to G34 and G36 units that are impacted by their network upgrade.   We expect the update to complete by the end of November.  You can find your firmware version on the Login page listed as Software Image Name.

Thank you for your patience.  

62 replies

Just got the G34 last week and now I'm experiencing this daily drop in connection. Restarting the device does fix it....until the next day. This is insane, when is this going to be fixed?! Xfinity just ran all new cable from the pole to the modem so I KNOW that's not any part of the issue anymore. 

I see people have contacted Arris support but I'm not seeing a number to call. I'll keep searching but if anyone sees this, or Arris support has another update (it's been months since one was posted here) that would be great. 

Badge +1

After a Comcast tech supposedly fixed or replaced the “amplifier” on the exterior of the building, I’m still having intermittent dropped Internet connection on my Ethernet network. On wifi, the Macbook will also lose contact with the 5G network and slip down to the lower speed wifi. What is that???

I bought this G36 back in November, tried everything suggested, and it kept dropping packets.  I’m now renting a modem from Xfinity that works fine.  This is past the return period for Micro Center.  What do I need to do to get a refund for this useless thing?  Barring that, how do I find Arris’ address so I can file a BBB complaint, since they don’t seem to be solving the problem for anyone in this forum?

So the only update on this is to reboot the router?  I still have internet drops everyday on Xfinity 

I just purchased my G36 this week. Current software: AR01.04.028.01.01_040121_724.NCS.20.X2

Xfinity installed today and already had to reboot the modem. Worked with Xfinity support and all they did was reboot the modem. Tech acted like he knew about the 1.05 software but I don’t think he did. Can Arris support assist me in getting Xfinity to push the updated to my modem?

Isn’t time for another update from Surfboard support regarding this matter?

Awaiting

Badge

Now we are in mid-April 2024 and G36 still doesn’t work with Xfinity network in my area.  Where before a simple reboot would reconnect me, not even that works now. Comcast technician was at my site for more than two hours yesterday.  Everything on their end works perfectly.  He told me that it is a known problem with G36 and G34 and to buy a Motorola unit if I need service.  Arris customer service useless; they want to send me a new G36 in a couple of weeks. That is really no help!  $300 for top of the line Arris and they could care less. I have a choice for modems but not for internet service. Never Arris again.  They should be sued for false advertising and not standing by warranty.  Unit is simply not compatible with Xfinity and they should stop selling it as though it is. 

UPDATE 12/12/23: With the recent update to the firmware of our SURFboard G36 gateway - specifically updated to Xfinity users,  a potential Wi-Fi performance issue has been seen. Under certain conditions, the 5GHz band is no longer seen by client devices forcing client devices to connect to 2.4GHz band only.  We are working with Comcast Xfinity service and all other service providers to address the issue. We expect an update to be rolled out by Thursday December 14.  If you encounter an issue,  please restart the device for the update to take place directly. ​​

@SURFboard Support  there hasn’t been any update since December--can you provide some insight? What is the updated firmware version?

Since this was advertised as compatible with Comcast, now all of a sudden it’s not… sounds like some false advertising. Why hasn’t anyone whipped up a lawsuit? It’s crazy that this is still going on… and they’re still being sold! What’s the solution from arris?? No fix, no replacement? Just taking everyone’s money and laughing all the way to the bank?

WOW - Been having this intermittent dropping with my G-34 for months and blaming everything but the Modem/Router! it worked great when I bought it for $200+ back on 8/22. Registered the 2 yr warranty online that same date.

5G now usually will not work, 2.5 usually will but only sometimes. Frequent rebooting forces us to waste our time. Slower speeds for streaming (especially when both of us are). Had to turn off the data plan as we were using our Xfinity family mobile plan.

How many other household customers are impacted and don’t have a clue? I have no record of any email from Arris on this issue (or any other issue, for that matter). Why don’t they notify registered owners? Why isn’t it fixed yet? Why do we have to ask? 

How about you just send everyone a replacement that actually works?

Thank you to the community members who have reported intermittent connectivity with their G34 and G36 devices on their Xfinity Internet service.  Recent Service Provider upgrades to their network for DOCSIS 3.1 higher upstream capabilities as well as preparation for DOCSIS 4.0 deployment have created possible issues with certain devices on certain upgraded networks – across all DOCSIS device manufacturers – that are impacting stability and performance. 

We are committed to resolving this matter.  We are working with Xfinity on a long-term solution to update the firmware and will provide an update when this is completed as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, the current workaround is to power cycle the G34 or G36 device to regain Internet connection.  We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this.

UPDATE 12/12/23: With the recent update to the firmware of our SURFboard G36 gateway - specifically updated to Xfinity users,  a potential Wi-Fi performance issue has been seen. Under certain conditions, the 5GHz band is no longer seen by client devices forcing client devices to connect to 2.4GHz band only.  We are working with Comcast Xfinity service and all other service providers to address the issue. We expect an update to be rolled out by Thursday December 14.  If you encounter an issue,  please restart the device for the update to take place directly. 

UPDATE 11/16/23: Xfinity is pushing firmware update version 01.05 to G34 and G36 units that are impacted by their network upgrade.   We expect the update to be completed by the end of November.  You can find your firmware version on the Login page listed as Software Image Name.

Thank you for your patience.  

This is still an issue! how do I get a warranty replacement 

May‐12‐2024

I'm extremely frustrated with my ARRIS G36 device. The current situation is unacceptable. It's ridiculous that ARRIS cannot provide a simple zip file for customers to update their devices on their own. I spent $300 on this product, and I expect it to function properly. I will not be purchasing any ARRIS products again. Xfinity customer service is unaware of the issue, and ARRIS customer support is unwilling to take responsibility. They continue to pass the problem back and forth instead of finding a solution for their paying customers. This needs to be addressed immediately.