Solved

Arris G34 Firmware Update November 2023

• 6 November 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Apparently Arris sent out a firmware update on November 1st 2023.  M ISP is Xfinity, and since this is my OWN gateway, Xfinity does not/cannot update the firmware.  It has to come directly from Arris.

Since this “update”, I can no longer forward ports to enable access from outside my network.

I did a RESET of the G34, but it doesn’t help.

Below are the software versions BEFORE 11/01/2023 and AFTER 11/01/2023

BEFORE 11/01/2023
AFTER 11/01/2023

RESETTING the G34 did not go back to the original version for some reason.

Is there a way to get back to the WORKING version?

Or is there a way to make the NEW version work correctly?

Here is Port Forwarding BEFORE 11/01/2023 and AFTER 11/01/2023

WORKING
NOT WORKING

Is there a solution for this?

icon

Best answer by lightningrod 7 November 2023, 14:08

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The firmware is part of the provisioning from the ISP. Arris submits it to xfinity and they certify it and send it out. Sadly, there isn’t a downgrading. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello plemans.

Thanks for your reply.  I have contacted my ISP (Xfinity) and they tell me that they cannot and do not upgrade the firmware because I own this G34 unit.  This is not Xfinity’s equipment.

Arris tech support says they cannot help me with Port Forwarding issues unless I purchase “premium” support.

The port forwarding has worked without issue since I purchased this unit in 2022.

Because of this “update” I no longer have that capability.

This unit is under warranty until September 2024, but if this issue cannot be resolved, it appears I have no choice other than to purchase a different unit from a different manufacturer.

I won’t purchase another Arris unit because even though it is still under warranty, they won’t help me unless I pay more money for tech support.

Badge +1

Oh, my port forwarding stopped working around 11/01/23 as well, so maybe it is related to the same firmware “upgrade” from Comcast/Xfinity!? You replied on my forum thread as well. That firmware version does look familiar. Sadly, I cannot access the WebAdmin GUI anymore, it just spins and spins and eventually gives me an invalid operation pop up now. That might be resolved with a reboot, but I’m afraid to do that right now because I have it partially working and don’t want to mess with it.

I have a replacement unit coming to me, but if this is a problem with that firmware version then the same problem will happen again. Port forwarding is a feature of the router, and was working up until 11/01/2023. If it is a problem with the firmware then Arris must resolve this with Comcast/Xfinity!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After days of trying to figure this out, I got things working correctly now.

The short story is that because of this update, your DHCP Pool needs to include ALL addresses in your local network in order for Port Forwarding to work.  You need to reserve any static addresses you need for port forwarding, but the pool needs to cover all addresses.

Not sure why this is, but that appears to be the solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello ADSunshine.

I don’t know if your wifi problem is related or not, since I wasn’t having any connection issues (ethernet or wifi), but here is my solution to get Port Forwarding working again:

DHCP POOL SETTINGS

The DHCP Pool needs to go from 2 to 253 (covering ALL addresses within your local network).

My DHCP Pool originally was setup to go from 110 to 150, as my “reserved” addresses were below 110 and I figured 40 “dynamic” addresses was more than enough.

With this new update, that setup no longer works for Port Forwarding.

(The devices which you are trying to forward now need to be WITHIN the DHCP pool.)

You need to “reserve” the address of any devices that you need to be static, by following the instructions here:

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-IP-Address-Reserve-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

Hope this helps!

Badge +1

I had indeed changed the DHCP range on my router from 2-253 to 160-253. I was able to put it back to 2-253 and it does appear to be working, at least for now.

Curious how you got to this solution @lightningrod ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It was rather by accident.

I did another RESET on the G34.  I have all my network devices setup for 192.168.1.X, so after RESETTING I went to the IPv4 page to set my G34 address to 192.168.1.1 (from the default of 192.168.0.1) but forgot to change the default DCHP 2 - 253 at the same time. (got in too big a hurry to move on, I guess)

When I logged in to the new address, I went to setup Port Forwarding.  To my surprise, the settings were saved!  I initially thought it was just this 2nd RESET that was the magic bullet.

I had previously saved screenshots of each settings page on my G34 right after I initially set it up last year, in case something happened and I needed to go back to what I had (not 100% trusting the saved cfg file)

While going through each of my screenshots, making sure everything had been done, I realized that my DHCP pool wasn’t setup yet, so I changed it from the default 2 - 253 to my usual 110 - 150.

After that, the PF rules simply vanished.  Nothing there.  I started adding the rules back, but they didn’t save (just exactly like what happened before).

Since the last thing I did was change the DHCP pool, I went back and put it back to default 2 - 253.

The PF rules were still gone, but as I re-entered them again, they saved correctly.

Upon realizing this, I went ahead and “reserved” my static device addresses from the “Connected Devices” page.

After making sure everything works correctly, I saved the cfg file, and replaced my screenshot of the IPv4 page to reflect the new reality.

I had never before “reserved” addresses, I usually only set my DHCP to start AFTER my static devices.

That was OK before, but after this update, it doesn’t work that way anymore.

That’s about it!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @lightningrod 

Thank you for reporting the port forwarding behavior on our community and a very awesome job finding the resolution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No problem.

At first I thought it was just something with my setup, until I looked at the software/firmware version and noticed it was different than before.  (This is one example of why I save screenshots of settings).

After that it was just trial by error mostly.

It would be nice, if, in the future, we would get a warning about an update being pushed through and possible side effects from it.

Badge

No problem.

At first I thought it was just something with my setup, until I looked at the software/firmware version and noticed it was different than before.  (This is one example of why I save screenshots of settings).

After that it was just trial by error mostly.

It would be nice, if, in the future, we would get a warning about an update being pushed through and possible side effects from it.

I totally agree, then even the ISP would be aware of it when customers call about rented equipment.  An alert should show up when signing into Arris Gateway.

I wonder if this Nov 1, 2023 firmware update has anything to do with trouble streaming movies. Recently, getting a lot of buffering on Chromecast from 5G phone using Prime or Netflix, etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am guessing it is all related to Xfinity upgrades in certain areas to 10G lines.

This happened in my area and essentially made the G36 useless. I have since 

started using Xfinity XB8 modem and it actually solved another issue that the
G36 had in that the 2.5gb port would not work through a switch.  Anyway, Xfinity
did recognize the issue with Arris and the G36 and gave me the XB8 for a year 
rent free.  I realized this post started as a G34 question but thinking it applies here too. Arris Tech team apparently was not talking to Xfinity when 10G was being installed.

Badge

Hello ADSunshine.

I don’t know if your wifi problem is related or not, since I wasn’t having any connection issues (ethernet or wifi), but here is my solution to get Port Forwarding working again:

DHCP POOL SETTINGS

The DHCP Pool needs to go from 2 to 253 (covering ALL addresses within your local network).

My DHCP Pool originally was setup to go from 110 to 150, as my “reserved” addresses were below 110 and I figured 40 “dynamic” addresses was more than enough.

With this new update, that setup no longer works for Port Forwarding.

(The devices which you are trying to forward now need to be WITHIN the DHCP pool.)

You need to “reserve” the address of any devices that you need to be static, by following the instructions here:

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-IP-Address-Reserve-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

Hope this helps!

Hello everyone I have a Arris G34 & yesterday evening my son told me the internet was off while I was cooking dinner. None of my devices will pick it up, when we unplug and plug it back in or factory reset it the light will ho from green to a amber/orange color and stay that way. I don't have the slightest idea in what is wrong with it. Please can someone guide me on what is wrong with my Arris G34?

*Moderator update: please refer to @Momma39 ‘s topic to provide helpful tips*