Question

Did xFinity just downgrade my internet speed (a lot) on G34?

• 3 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Just bought/installed G34.  Did speed test just prior to shutting down xFinity Gateway.  910-920MB.  Then I installed G34.  Installation smooth and painless.  BUT, speeds are all over the place.  I have done 20-30 speed test so far.  Frequently the test shows 110-130, sometimes 200s, 300s, even 1 700, but I haven’t seen 900s and wonder if xFinity has dialed down my speed?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Badge

Should I wait to return my xFinity Gateway?  Continuing to run many tests, with most between 100 and 200.  Using speed test ‘found’ via google as well as Ookla

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page? shows upstream/downstream values? 

Are you testing wired speeds?

Badge

I could easily do screenshots of my ‘speed test’ results, but didn’t bother.

Yes, PC is hardwired into G34.

BUT, I have now tested over 100 times.  As time went by, the G34 started approaching the xFinity Gateway speeds, even surpassing at one point.  In any case, I’m no longer concerned (yet) about xFinity dialing down my speed due to removing their box.  Might they some day?  Perhaps.

I think somehow the G34 was in ‘infant setup’ and a bit busy getting adjusted to the new world it was operating in.  At least that is my theory, because at this point, I see ZERO reduced speed from G34 compared to prior.

Thanks for getting back to me.