Question

G34 5GHz Wifi Sometimes Disappears

• 9 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After finally getting the Port Forwarding to work again (after firmware update) now I seem to have another issue.  At random times, the 5GHz just “disappears”.  The SSID does not show up in any devices in order to connect.  The 2.4GHz SSID still shows up during these times.  When I login to the router web configuration, it shows that both wifi bands are good (green checkmarks next to them)

After continuously messing with this unit for about 5-6 days after the firmware update, I left the Wifi settings to the default (See photo below)

DEFAULT SETTINGS

Not sure if going back to the Manual channel settings (like I previously did) will solve this.

I would occasionally have some slow connection speeds that way, but it wouldn’t just “disappear”.

Using a wifi analyzer, it appears that other people’s wifi around me are also setup for automatic channel selection, as their SSIDs seem to bounce around from channel to channel depending on the day, which also makes it hard for me to use the Manual setting.  Because then I have to continuously monitor their wifi to see where to put mine, or my connection speed becomes slow if the channel gets too crowded.  It becomes a hassle.

I am currently considering just going back to manual selection so that at the very least, I will have slower wifi at times.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @lightningrod,

Your G34 is capable automatic channel selection with Dynamic Channel Selection enabled.  You can try lowering the DCS Scan Interval.  

If you live near Radar systems, mainly at airports, weather stations, and other government locations, try enabling DFS. Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) allows the G34 to share the 5GHz Wi-Fi frequency bands with radar systems without causing interference.