Solved

G34 Ethernet download speed slower than wireless download speed.

• 7 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

My ethernet speed seems to be capped at 100 and I can’t change modem to 1000.  I tried but it reverts back when I hit save.  I’m thinking it’s a link problem as speed & Duplex is set on auto negotiation but ethernet staus shows 100.

icon

Best answer by Lemonaide 9 May 2023, 01:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

makes me suspicious of the ethernet cord and the device its connected to. 

Did you try a different high quality cat 5e/6 cable? 

And try a different device as some devices aren’t gigabit. What device is it you’re connecting to it? 

Badge

Thanks so much for your relply.  Dell Laptop by ethernet but I noticed my smart TV ethernet is also reporting it’s connected at 100 as well.  Have talked with internet provider and confirmed with them and with Ipads that I do have 300 mbps.  Have changed cables to no avail.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Most tv’s only have 100mbps ports on them, not gigabit. Reason why is you can stream 4k with a 25-40mbps signal over ethernet. So they don’t need faster speeds. Its very rare to find a tv with a gigabit port. So that’s not abnormal. 

tough to know much about your laptop. Saying dell laptop is like telling your mechanic you have a ford car. There’s a ton of models. 

Badge

Thanks a lot for your help.  I have ordered new cat 6 cables to see  if it will male a difference and I switched the TV to wireless and getting a great signal that way.  

Bringing up Ford is a touchy subject with me right now.  About 4 weeks ago my Ford Edge starting telling me that it was in battery  saver mode and the battery needed to be replaced.  The auto store replaced it and fried all electonics in the 2019 Edge with 23,773 miles on it.  Garage kept and look like a brand new one.  The insurance company is in the process of totaling the car and giving me cash value.  I am trying to laugh it off as crying is not becoming of a 76 year old man.  LOL I will let you know if I resolve the ethernet issue.  Have a great week!