Question

Replacement router is still having the same problems. G34

• 20 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

My original G34 was losing wifi  and hardwire connection daily. I think constantly having to reset caused the button to go bad. I just got a replacement router this week. Now I’m back in the same situation of losing wifi and connection. Before I do a reset sometimes the administrator console will never connect. Before the reset I often have to wait 10 - 20 minutes for it to respond until I reset which will speed things up, but only for a few hours. I only have a couple of wifi devices. Almost everything is network wired. My provider is Spectrum. I’m beginning to suspect there is an incompatibility with the router. Our jobs rely on a reliable router. This router is acting just like the first one. I’m digging into the logs now. there are a few IP6 critical errors. I was going to get support involved but I can’t have the interference during the day. Any first suggestions? BTW, G34 is a Spectrum compatible router.

Before this I had a TPLink router that worked flawlessly but it was 300M router and I needed another router for 1G.

I found a link that describes the same issue I’m having.

Problems with new G34 and/or Provisioning or Modem Registration issues? : r/Comcast_Xfinity (reddit.com)

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. Since you are facing the same issue on the replaced unit we would suggest you to check with the Internet service provider using their test modem and monitor connection for 24hrs to isolate the issue. Because that would help us to identify where the issue lies. Same intermittent issue on the modem will not occur even with the replaced new unit so that makes us to think about the lines of the ISP. If the same ISP modem works fine without any interruption we would suggest you to reach out to Arris.com/consumersupport

Badge +3

When I had to bounce back to my TPLink router, it worked flawlessly for 2 weeks. I had considered the ISP angle, but I’m also wondering if there are any software updates for the router. I had to return the original ISP router. I just now found the support number and I’ll be reaching out to them. Tx!

Badge +3

I got a very pleasant guy on the support line and we went through power levels. I’ll need to get Spectrum back out here again. They checked the power levels after I got my replacement router but they aren’t anywhere near the recommended levels.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Sure we understand that the Power levels were not recommended levels so, could you let us know if the G34 is working fine now?

Badge +3

It is not working and I’ve had to put my TPLink 300M back in place because it works flawlessly. I don’t have time to pit Arris against my ISP. I’ve been told using replacement combo routers with Spectrum can be a problem. I’m looking to split out another 1G modem  (I have a 1G router). I’m not sure why Spectrum’s compatibility list only includes combo units. My question is, if it is a line problem, why do I not have any problems using my TPLink. I’ve gone nearly 3 weeks without even a blip. 

I’ll ask again, are there any software updates with the G34?

Also, how can I determine that the problem is not in the router side vs. the modem? Mostly the problems are with the wireless but not always. The PC that uses the wireless is in direct proximity to the router that we use. That being said, after a reset, sometimes the wired G34 connection will fail several times to complete the initiation process.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS G34, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

In this case we would suggest you to check the cable signal level by following the steps mentioned on the below article to work on this case further.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels