Solved

Windows 7 with DOCIS 3.1?

• 17 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Ethernet works, but I don't see WIFI.  Friends see “my” WIFI on their computers/smart phones. (I don't have a smart phone)

When I log in to Surfboard, it says unsupported Browser.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 22 November 2022, 17:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello William Kapaun,

May I know on which device you don’t see Wi-Fi?

Which browser are you using? Have you tried to test other browsers like Firefox, Edge, Opera…? 

Also, when you get that message, you do not see any other information on the page, like “Advanced”, “Show Details”, “More Information”?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Toshiba Satellite L755  (Pentium) laptop & Windows 7. (Windows 7 is in the title of my question)

I didn’t see it in Firefox or Edge.

Ethernet works fine.

Xfinity is my provider.

Wireless is seen on my friends newish laptop and 2 friends cell phones.

It’s somewhat moot now I hope. A friend is giving me his wife’s hand me down laptop in a couple days.

It’s a bit newer. Mine is 12 years old. It pretty much does what I need to get done.

I purchased my own modem as not to pay $14/mo. to Xfinity for their Cisco DOCIS 3.0 modem.

I’m guessing DOCIS 3.1 and Windows 7 may be the issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello William Kapaun,

I usually suggest changing the security type. There’s two ways of doing it:

The G34/G36 supports WPA3 security for added security capabilities to protect client devices in the home network.  The default Wi-Fi security mode in the G34/G36 is WPA2/WPA3 Mixed and this is recommended setting to support legacy WPA2 and WPA3 enabled client devices.  Some older WPA2 enabled Wi-Fi client devices are not able to connect to the Wi-Fi network with Mixed security settings.  If the older WPA2 Wi-Fi client devices cannot see the SSID, they are not Wi-Fi 6 (AX) compatible. 

Resolution:
Please apply the following resolutions to address compatibility with older Wi-Fi clients.

• Client Software Update - Perform software or driver update on the Wi-Fi client devices to make them compatible with WPA2/WPA3 Mixed security mode setting on the gateway.
  • Replace Client Device - If the client device still cannot connect to the G34/G36 Wi-Fi network after software updates, the issue might be hardware incompatibility using WPA2/WPA3 Mixed security mode.  The Wi-Fi client device would then need to be replaced with a newer device that support WPA2/WPA3 Mixed security mode.
  • Configure WPA2 in the G34/G36 - Although it is not recommended, the only option is to change the G34/G36 Wi-Fi security mode to WPA2 to allow WPA2 enabled Wi-Fi client devices to connect.  This setup removes the security protection offered by WPA3.

Click here to change the security mode to WPA2 in the SB Central App.
    Click here to change the security mode to WPA2 in the Web Manager.

Change the Security Mode to WPA2 in the SB Central App

1. Tap the Network icon.

User-added image

2. Tap the Main Wi-Fi Network + button to expand the card.

3. Tap the Pencil icon to make edits.

NOTE: The 5GHz tab is selected by default for the 5 Ghz band. 

User-added image

4. On the Edit Home Network screen, tap the Security Type drop-down menu to select WPA2-PSK (AES).

5. Tap the Save Changes button.  The Alert pop-up box will appear.

User-added image

6. Tap the Continue button.

User-added image

7. The Network screen will return with the updated Security Type.  Tap the 2.4GHz tab and repeat steps 3 - 6 to change the Security Type for the 2.4 GHz band. 

User-added image

Change the Security Mode to WPA2 in the Web Manager

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The https:// Redirect page will appear.   

2. The SURFboard Web Manager is begin redirected to a more secure connection, click the Proceed button to continue.  The Gateway > Login page will appear.

User-added image

3. A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager.  There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager.  For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.

NOTE: The Home Network Wizard will appear if this is the first time accessing the Web Manager.  For assistance with the wizard, refer to article # 19077 - G34/G36: Web Manager First Time Login.

4. The Username field has admin populated, enter the custom password in the Password field.

NOTE: If the Login page prompts for email address and password, retrieve the email address and password in the app to sign in.  For detailed instructions in the app, refer to article #19069 - SURFboard Central: Web Manager Access.

5. Click the Login button.  The Gateway > Summary page will appear.

User-added image

6. On the left-hand menu, click the Connection link then click the Wi-Fi link.

7. Click the Networks sub-menu link.  The Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Networks page will appear.

8. Under the Primary Home Wi-Fi Network section, click the Edit button for the 2.4 GHz Frequency Band.

Right click on the image to save it to your computer.

9. Click the Security Mode drop-down menu and select the WPA2-PSK (AES) option.

10. Enter the four-digit CAPTCHA code in the Type CAPTCHA Here field.

11. Click the Save button to apply the new settings.  The Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Networks page will appear.   

NOTE: Repeat steps 8 - 11 to change the Security Mode for the 5 GHz Frequency Band. 

Right click on the image to save it to your computer.

12. Connect the older WPA2 Wi-Fi client devices to the G34/G36 Wi-Fi network. 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Unable-to-Connect-to-the-Wi-Fi-Network

Let us know if this helped.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

what wireless chip is in your laptop?

And what driver is it running? 

(you can find that out by going into your device manage in windows and selecting the wireless chip)

Many older wireless cards had issues with wireless AX. Some manufacturer’s updated their drivers to support AX (when there were issues) but not all did. And they didn’t always update them in windows update. So its worth figuring out what wireless card is in the computer and its driver.