Skip to main content

I recently bought a G36 router, and it has been performing well.  However, a couple times a week, the ethernet ports on the back go dark, and the devices connected to them drop off the network.  I know it is the gateway and not the devices, because all the devices will simultaneously drop off.

Power cycling the gateway temporary solves the problem, but it inevitably returns.  I have tried a factory reset, but to no avail.  Its pretty frustrating, as ethernet is supposed to be more reliable than WiFi, but that seems not to be the case.

Hello JVBuchanan,

As the ethernet port lights goes dark and then drop on the network on all devices , lets try with a different ethernet cable.

Try checking cable signal levels : http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

Do screen share the downstream channels highest and lowest power levels and snr and upstream channels highest and lowest power levels so, we can check if the cable signals are on acceptable range .

Thanks for the info.  I have tried changing the cables but the issue comes back.  They are good quality cables, not some off-brand from Amazon.

Based on the link you posted, it looks like the only thing out-of-spec would be the upstream QAM power levels.  Thoughts?  I attached screenshots.

Hello JVBuchanan,

Yes you are right , Downstream cable signal levels are on acceptable range Power (+15/-15dbmv) and SNR(+33db) but the upstream need to be +45 to 61 dbmv depending upon the channels and symbol rate . 

So, do contact you’re Internet Service Provider and ask them to increase the upstream cable signals. As the current upstream power reading are quite low (34 to 37 dbmv).