Question

G34 with Xfinity - performance issues

• 18 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

All,

I bough in December 2023 a new Arris G34 for my Xfinity 800Mbps service ( I replaced my SBG6580 after 12 years of service).

A couple of issues:

1. After I placed in production the G34, I checked the Software Version.It was Firmware Version:01.05.020.04.01.NCS. But after a few weeks, I noticed that my G34 is running “Firmware Version:01.04.028.01.01.NCS” . Is it normal for xFinity to downgrade the G34?
  2. I’m running Firefox 126.0 but I’m still getting the message on the G34 UI console  -  the version of Mozilla Firefox you are using is unsupported. Your Gateway's web interface has been tested to work with the minimum version: 63.0.3.
  3. For the past week, I have Internet connectivity issues ( 40% loss in Teams calls, my VPN client is keep disconnecting, the Verizon LTE Extender direct connected to the G34 LAN port can’t build the IPSEC tunnel , etc). In those moments, the G34 direct WEB UI access ( 192.168.0.1) can’t load  completely and I can’t login to the modem to check the stats. The solution is to reboot the modem. After that, for 48h, everything is working perfectly. Then, the issue is reappearing.

Do I have a bad Arris G34 and I need to RMA or this is a problem that xFinity can help fixing?

Thank you,

Victor

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41
  1. Software version or the firmware version depends on the speed plan and the service provider, so only they can update you the information regarding that.
  1. Please follow the steps mentioned the below link for the unsupported error on Firefox

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/192-168-0-1-uses-an-unsupported-protocol

1. Are you trying to access GUI and getting connection issue only on particular device on which you are using VPN or have you tried on different device? 
Badge
  1. Xfinity confirmed that they indeed downgraded the firmware of my G34 .
  2. I followed the steps from the specified link but it didn’t fix the problem. I’m still getting the same warning “ The version of Mozilla Firefox you are using is unsupported. Your Gateway's web interface has been tested to work with the minimum version: 63.0.3.

You may proceed with an unsupported version, but you might experience issues using the pages. “
  3. I’m getting connection issues from multiple devices directly connected via UTP to the G34 LAN ports. The solution is just to reboot the modem and after that I’m good for 24-48h.
Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing intermittent internet connection through a wired connection, I suggest checking the cable signals to make sure they are all in range.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

Regarding the firmware update, I request to check with the internet service provider.