Skip to main content

Will the G36 allow the 2.5GB port to be connected to a PC and one of the four 1.0GB ports connected to a mesh system, switch, etc.?   On older Arris modems such as the S33 you cannot use the 2.5GB port and the 1.0GB port simultaneously.  Is the G36 different since it has 4 1.0GB ports. 

The G36 is a modem router combo device. Its not a modem only device. Devices that are modem only are usually restricted by the ISP because the ISP only assigns 1 public ip address. that address then gets assigned to a router that gives out private ip address. Since this is an all in one device, you’re fine. 

So you can connect more than 1 thing to it. The only thing to keep in mind is if you’re connecting another router to the G36, to make sure the 2nd one is in access point mode to prevent a double nat. 

Thank you! 

While bypassing my mesh Aplifi wifi router that has a 1.0GB port and plugging the CAT 5 cable directly from the S33 - 2.5GB to the Computer 2.5GB port in my pc I get the advertised xfinity 1200 MB download (1400 actually).  I plan to get the G36 and plug the 2.5 into the computer, not use the G36 wifi mode and plug one CAT5 wire into the current Amplifi mesh system that has a 1.0GB port and keep my wifi the same.  Sounds like that will work with the G36. 

Do you agree?  Thank you! 

The G36 is pretty solid. You might just leaves its wifi on and put the amplifi device in access point mode. Just make sure to have the 2 networks on different wifi channels to prevent interference. Then you can put devices that are closer to the G36 on it with the ones at the peripheral on the amplifi. It’ll take a bit of load off both networks

Got it!  Thank you!

Works exactly as described in this post.  The suggestion above to use both wifi is working out too.  Did not have to put Amplify in Bridge mode.  All works great!

glad to hear it!