Skip to main content
Question

New G34 - can no longer connect to windows DLNA media server on TVs

• 17 August 2024
  • 5 replies

My old Arris surfboard router/modem combo died and so I replaced it with the G34.  With my old Arris surfboard I had my laptop setup with the windows DLNA media to share media files with my Samsung TV's in my house.  Worked almost flawless in discovering the DLNA and playing videos. 

I activated my G34 via Xfinity and it’s been almost nothing but problems I've had to work through.  I can connect to the internet and have eventually connected to smart lights and other discoverable items but the biggest issue is that my TV's no longer find the DLNA server to stream videos to my TV.  It has to be a setting on the G34 somewhere but I don’t know what to change.  Does it have something to do with IpV6 vs IpV4 or the UPnP?  My firewall is off and everything is set up correctly on my laptop to share files.

Also the TVs do not show up on my local network list but do show up under all networks when checking the advanced sharing properties in windows

Since you are unable to connect the TV with Wi-Fi, I would suggest changing the security mode and trying again to connect the TV.

To change the security mode,

Launch a web browser>Enter in the address box as 192.18.0.1> Enter the login credentials.

Gateway>Connections>Wi-Fi>Network>Edit for 2.4GHz and then change the security mode as WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

Changing of the security mode to WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) was done previously as other devices would not connect to the wifi.  Once I changed the security mode I was able to connect those devices that wouldnt originally connect but it still does not show up on my TV.  I can connect to the TV via a samsung screen sharing app but that is not what I am looking to do.

Also for clarification, the TVs do connect to the Wi-Fi and I can stream Netflix etc. from them. I just can no longer see my laptop on the TV when I am trying to stream video files from it.

Since the TV is connected to Wi-Fi, there are no issues with the modem.

I would suggest contacting your TV’s support for further assistance.