Question

Trouble connecting Arris G36 to Extender Arris W31

Badge

For some reason I was able to connect to the internet, when I plugged the Arris W31 through Ethernet, to the Router/Modem Arris G36. But when I unplugged the Ethernet, it didn’t continue to connect wirelessly as an extender. So I question how to gain that solution?

It connected in my surfboard central app but also shows not connected to internet. Without the Ethernet cable plugged into it. 

How do I repair this?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Badge

For some reason I was able to connect to the internet, when I plugged the Arris W31 through Ethernet, to the Router/Modem Arris G36. But when I unplugged the Ethernet, the W31 extender didn’t continue to connect wirelessly as an extender/satellite. So I question how to gain that solution?

It connected in my surfboard central app but also shows not connected to internet. Without the Ethernet cable plugged into it. 

How do I repair this?

I did reset both the modem router, and the router extender, then left them powered down for 5 minutes, plugged them back in. Started from scratch in the surfboard central app, installing them and registering them. (Which both showed an error in registering) Then connecting them together in a network. Labeling them. Same effect, once detaching the Ethernet from the W31 router wifi extender. No internet connection in a wireless extender/satellite mode. So is there something I can alter in the configuration to set the W31 router as an extender in the mesh networking wirelessly? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Could you let us know whether the W31 device is a single pack or a dual pack?

If it's a single pack, there is no option to work wirelessly with the G36. If you disconnect the Ethernet cable from G36, the W31 will lose its internet connection.

Badge

I only have a single router, not a satellite kit. 
Good to know though.

I was able to turn the modem/router into a gateway, after turning off the router portion. Allowing me to, at least use, the separate router. And with the 6,000 sq ft coverage area, I ended up not needing to use it as an extender. So, for me problem answered. 

Thank you 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since W31 is a single pack, I suggest connecting the modem (G36) with the router (W31) through an Ethernet cable after setup. 

If you disconnect the Ethernet cable from G36, you will lose the internet connection. 

You can buy an additional router (W31) and set it as a satellite, then you can place it anywhere as an extender.