Skip to main content

I’ve been experiencing the same drops others have been for the G36, but additionally I’ve been paying for 1200 mbps, but capping off at 900mbps. I’m connected via ethernet cable, and have done multiple hard resets.

After spending an hour on the phone with Xfinity they said that they couldn’t do anything and I should contact the manufacturer to make sure I have the correct settings on the G36. I was wondering if there was some way to check that?

(personally I think they were just trying to get me off the phone/avoid refunding me, but wanted to at least have the effort shown for argumentative sake.)

Basically intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider. So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further. If this is only on wifi connection then you can try changing wifi channels on the modem interface and monitor connection for next 24hrs.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Downstream QAM are within 2.099998  and 3.099998

SNR is between 40 and 41dB

Upstreams seems low

I power cycled and they remain the same

Having the same issue but only on 2.4gh. I've reset, changed radio channels, done everything recommended, nothing works. I've just ordered a Xfinity recommended compatible Netgear. Byebye Arris.

As you mentioned the above cable signal levels for the upstream power level which is not in a range. The acceptable power level should be greater than 45dbmv.

I suggested you to contact your internet service provider and ask them them adjust the signals within a range.

Would this explain why I’m not getting the download speeds I’m supposed to? I’m going to revisit that fact with Xfinity and wanted to make sure everything is set on the ARRIS side.

If the cable signals are not in range that is the major reason you are experiencing with download slow speed.

As we suggest before, contact your internet service provider and ask them to adjust the upstream power level within a range to fix this issue.

Hello! I had Xfinity come today and they’ve made the adjustments, and we’re still hitting the cap, Are there any other suggestions?

Could you please try with different power cord and also let me know that is there any changes in the led light status?

Also let us know that the intermittent connection is only with wired connection or also with wireless connection.

I went directly to the wall instead of the surge protector it was plugged into. The light on the front is a solid blue, the lights on the back where the ethernet cords are plugged in at flashing orange.

The intermittent connections is with everything, the modem essentially loses internet connection. However I haven’t had that happen while I’ve been awake for about a week+.

Could you let us know whether the intermittent internet connection is with wireless connection or wired connection. 

If its through wireless connection, I suggest you to change the Wi-Fi channels with the help of Wi-Fi spectrum analyzer and monitor it for next 24hours of time.

Find the link to change the Wi-Fi channels given below:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Also let us know the speed plan which you opted with internet service provider.

I suggest you to follow the steps on the GUI web portal and let us know is there any changes on the behavior.

Launch a web browser> 192.168.0.1> login > Gateway>troubleshoot>restart or restore>Wi-Fi restore & restore.

Also let us know your firmware version.

Firmware version: 01.04.028.01.01.NCS

I’ve followed the steps and there is no change in behavior. I’m still capping at 899-900mpbs. I even upgraded the ethernet cord.

Is there a number I can call to talk to a tech, as this back and forth online has not been an expedient manner to get this done I feel.

I understand that you already tried with all the possibility troubleshooting, As I checked the firmware version is not the updated one. Please check with your internet service provider for the latest firmware update.

Also, if you wish to contact Arris technical support, please visit www.arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.

My issue was resolved. The problem was that the 2.4ghz band was continuously dropping. Here is the problem and fix that worked for me.

It's winter and I plugged up a space heater to the same power outlet as my G36. The heater was drawing most of the power from the G36 allowing it to only transmit the 5gh signal. This was happening for days and only occurred when the heater was active on colder days. Once I unplugged the heater and restarted the G36 problem was solved. I moved the heater onto its own circuit and outlet.

So in short make sure you have a dedicated outlet for your G36 or similar router/modem. Better yet make sure any high power devices like heaters are plugged into their own circuit. And try to limit the number of devices on the same circuit or outlet as your G36. Do that and restart your G36 and it should work. Well mines did.