Question

Dropped connection

• 2 April 2023
  • 16 replies

Badge

I have the G36 and just bought it a few months ago for my xfininity internet service and have had dropped internet for what seems like day 1. The other day, I upgraded my ethernet cables and coax cable thinking that would fix the issue. I have a internet plan that gives me 1000 mbps of download, 20 mbps up. I know I future proofed myself with this model so what I have is plenty. The only thing left to do was call Xfinity. I spoke to a rep who ran a test on my cable modem/router and said my modem received no issues getting the internet and that I needed to reach out to Arris for a firmware update. Is there anything else I can do first before giving support a call?

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello RichardMcNeilG36

We understand that you are facing intermittent connection issue on your internet service, G36 is a gateway, combination of modem and router so if you are facing problem in Wi-Fi connection then we can try changing Wi-Fi channel for the respective network to avoid this issue because,  If other Wi-Fi sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity. Since you have done with all basic trouble shooting already no need to repeat, please follow the steps mentioned on the link below to change Wi-Fi channels. If you are having Surfboard central app then you to access modem interface through the app to change the Wi-Fi channel.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS (G36), because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

My G36 does this every 1-2 days with Xfinity as well and there have been other threads reporting this same issue, same provider. My modem shows that it’s connected, lights blue everything within spec, yet Xfinity doesn’t receive any data from the modem and shows it as offline on their end. Speeds tank from 1400 Mbps down to 0.03 Mbps until I reboot the modem and then everything works until I have to repeat the same cycle. I had Xfinity come out, line tested things. Everything is strong and good on the line. We factory reset the modem, went through the activation process again and it was good for 5 days. Then tonight, it did it again so clearly it’s not fixed and this occurs too often with this model and Xfinity to be called coincidental. Something clearly is not communicating right. It sucks because these modems are not cheap. 

Badge

Hey DreamShadow, thank you for your reply. I just had Xfinity come out this morning and they told me the very same thing. I’m currently on hold (again) trying to get someone to answer. I was told to reach back out to them so they can send me out another unit. I lose internet every few days and your’e correct. I spent way too much money for this to keep happening.

Same has been happening to me every since Xfinity did maintenance a few weeks ago in the area. Blue light stays on. Internet drops out. Restarting the router fixes the issue for about 48 hours. Xfinity has come out and said everything is good. They're blaming the modem.

Good afternoon.   Same issue as above.  Were you able to get your g36 replaced?

Badge

Good evening, same situation here with my owned G36. Was running flawlessly until Xfinity did their “network enhancement” maintenance in the neighborhood back on 4/10 and follow up work on 4/14. My modem Immediately started losing connectivity early the next morning on 4/15 until I rebooted the device when I woke up. This has happened 4 more times since then, every time after the Arris CMTS pushed a DOCSIS profile config update to my modem overnight. I tried to reach out to Xfinity about it since it coincided with their line work triggering this, but they deflected to Arris because they manage the CMTS and firmware updates.

Badge +1

Same issue here. Moved recently, and had no issues in my old area (10 miles away), so it has something to do with location…

Any one change the  channels and and see any improvement?

Badge +2

I just came here to ask the same thing. Just replaced a faulty Xfinity XB7 with the G36 which seem to work great other than the maybe once a day or so disconnect that won’t come back online without a reboot.
Ya I've changed the Wifi channels and did the same thing. I think its faulty firmware to be honest.

Badge +1

Great to hear other people are having this issue (haha). I was traveling for work and then on vacation for a few days, and this has been at the bottom of my list. How do you change the channels? I would like to try to change the channel but the TV is on. Thanks for your help.

I wish that surfboard would weigh in here. I'm betting it's a no an issue, and they don't actually have any solution, so they are ignoring it... There are other topics that are basically reporting the same problem

Badge +2

Great to hear other people are having this issue (haha). I was traveling for work and then on vacation for a few days, and this has been at the bottom of my list. How do you change the channels? I would like to try to change the channel but the TV is on. Thanks for your help.

Well you can do it in the app  NETWORK MANAGEMENT > NETWORK SETTINGS > WI-FI RADIOS SETTINGS. The app seems to lock up for me sometimes when trying to change theses settings and never changes them. Also in the web interface under Wifi Radios. I seemed to get better coverage setting a manual channel vs auto for 5ghz. I’m using 48 but your area might be different. There is also a setting sliders  for reserve bandwidth for the guest network which I just moved to 100% 0 for guest. 

Badge

Alright this is getting ridiculous at this point. Arris and Xfinity need to get their act together and figure out why the Arris CMTS is all the sudden sending these seemingly unnecessary “DS profile configure updates” every 2-3 days after these 10G network upgrades. Performance on the network was honestly more consistent BEFORE they made the change and I was not receiving these DOCSIS profile configuration updates at all. The worst part is Xfinity thinks they were clever, but they took the G36 off their recommended modem list (albeit still supported) which tells me they have no intention of putting in the work with Arris to figure out if its their network line work or the CMTS causing these errant DS profile config updates.

Seriously, Arris, get it together because Xfinity clearly doesn’t care.

Badge

I just came here to ask the same thing. Just replaced a faulty Xfinity XB7 with the G36 which seem to work great other than the maybe once a day or so disconnect that won’t come back online without a reboot.
Ya I've changed the Wifi channels and did the same thing. I think its faulty firmware to be honest.

There appears to be two things at play here with the G36 or people are attributing it to a WiFi issue when the radio signal is fine. Your issue is very similar to mine, though. When it happens, usually every 2-3 days for me and overnight, the CMTS pushes this seemingly random “DS profile config update” to the modem. This is what you’re seeing as the disconnect and it going offline until you reboot it. Next time it happens, open the management console on the G36 and go to the event log and look for something like this. I guarantee it lines up to the exact time frame you noticed the disconnect occur:

DS profile config update. DS Chan ID: 193. ;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;    05/01/2023 00:57:24    Notice

Badge +2

There appears to be two things at play here with the G36 or people are attributing it to a WiFi issue when the radio signal is fine. Your issue is very similar to mine, though. When it happens, usually every 2-3 days for me and overnight, the CMTS pushes this seemingly random “DS profile config update” to the modem. This is what you’re seeing as the disconnect and it going offline until you reboot it. Next time it happens, open the management console on the G36 and go to the event log and look for something like this. I guarantee it lines up to the exact time frame you noticed the disconnect occur:

DS profile config update. DS Chan ID: 193. ;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;    05/01/2023 00:57:24    Notice

That sounds exactly like what is happening, thank you so much! I shared what you said with my comcast/Xfinity reddit support people I’ve been dealing with on the issue. I went in last night and went to the Application Gateway Layer section AGL is it  ALG??  I think it’s called anyway I had read an article on a Comcast Business forum that said all Comcast modems default to SIP off, where the default for the G36 is on. So I unchecked that out of desperation. Do you think that could have any affect on things ?

im hopeful there will be some kinda resolution.

Badge +2

So since I changed and disabled the SIP in the Application Layer Gateway settings of the G36, I still have gotten a couple disconnects in the last 24 hours but the modem recovers and comes back online without needing a reboot. It seems to only be down for maybe a minute or less. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not ?? I can’t remember exactly where the setting are but there are a lot of check boxes checked and I just unchecked SIP and saved.

Userlevel 1

Just add me to the list of G36 owners having the same issue described above. Xfnity, Jax, FL.

I’ve been having this issue with my G36 since I purchased it a month or two ago.  My Devices  all connect and show internet but are extremely laggy, as proven by speed tests. Upload seems less effected, it’s the download that trips mine up severely. Alexa devices can’t respond or take 20 seconds to give an answer or feedback they can’t connect. Laptop data comes in very very short bursts of data -not complete web pages and then sits idle for 30 seconds or more until the next burst.  

Ring  notifies that it has goes offline and cuts over to cellular and that usually is how I know it’s acting up, that’s when I reboot/power cycle it.

Restarting the router fixes it until it happens again a day or so later. I’ve been looking for some way to have it automatically power cycle each night. Smart plug with resident schedule memory or similar. BUt that’s a terrible solution for something that should just work. The Arris SG10 surfboard I removed from the house and put in my office is still working fine with no cutouts (separate dedicated Xfinity line).

Hard wired devices may or may not go down with it the wifi lags. My Arlo shows orange (offline) less often than my Ring goes to cellular.

I don’t see this so much as an Xfinity problem as it is an Arris problem, but the note above about the DS Profile Config update pushes is curious..

Badge +2

Just add me to the list of G36 owners having the same issue described above. Xfnity, Jax, FL.

I would be curious what would happen if you tried what had been working for me so far… 

changing the SIP to disabled in the ALG settings???

Set up the ALG - Application Layer Gateway (ALG) allows your router to recognize and treats certain network protocols. Note: Please change these settings if recommended by your service provider.

To set up the ALG:

From any G34/G36 Web Manager screen, click the Advanced menu link.

Click ALG to display the ALG screen.

Figure 53: Advanced ALG screen

Click the required check boxes and then click SAVE SETTINGS.