Solved

5GHz band have 160MHz channel width?- G54

• 29 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

Does the G54's 5GHz band have 160MHz channel width?

Or is it limited to 80MHz?

icon

Best answer by Netopia 10 February 2024, 00:38

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Just 80hz. You can read quick review of the G54 here: 

It goes over how i thought one of the 5ghz bands should have been 160hz compatible. 

Badge

Thank you, excellent write up.  I can’t reply to your topic, so I’ll ask here…

1. Any firmware upgrades yet to resolve the 160 MHz deficiency?
  2. I’m also curious what functionality is missing from G54 versus a standalone home router like (e.g. TP-Link Archer BE800, Nighthawk RS700S)?  I like the convenience of an all-in-one package.  See more below...

I currently use FreshTomato.  These are the features I use (The top 3 are more importantly to me.  4 thru 8 aren’t a huge deal to me):

1. DHCP Reservation.
  2. Bandwidth Limits (I don’t want kids hogging the bandwidth and want to rate limit).
  3. QoS (Not sure if this is important/relevant with +100 Mbps speeds).
  4. Virtual WiFi.  Nice to isolate devices.
  5. Web Usage.
  6. Bandwidth Monitoring.
  7. Adblock. 
  8. Device access restriction.  Nice to have an extra layer of security, but not sure if this is relevant today.

Parental controls would be nice to have on a router, but I haven’t seen a solution I like (except for Google Family Link).  Would be nice if a router required a login so the usage an be monitored per user, regardless of device.

• Monitor and limit time duration for all activity.
  • Monitor and limit time duration or specific site. (e.g.:  Allow unlimited education time; limit game time).
  • Strict safety filters.
  • Allow bonus time via mobile app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40
  1. Its not a firmware issue with the 160hz. its a hardware design. You can’t just update the firmware to give it a hardware change. So they’ll be limited to the 80hz. 
  2. Freshtomatoes has a lot more function than this will. You won’t get those features with the G54. But I don’t know of any AX or BE (wifi 6 & 7) routers that support fresh tomato

You’re a little stuck. You like the features of 3rd party firmware but I don’t know of any newer generation routers that support 3rd party firmware. So what do you do? Remove the amazing 3rd party firmware for faster speeds (potentially) or spend a ton of money for a commercial router that might have those features? Tough choice. Something you could do is run the G54 (or different router) with the freshtomato router. Have the G54 as primary for you and the other router running the kids stuff for monitoring/other features. 

Or you put the freshtomato router as primary, disable its wireless, and connect an AX or BE router to it in access point mode. You’ll be limited to the ethernet speed on the freshtomato router but can then still use its features/tracking while benefiting from the increased wireless speeds (up to gigabit) from the AX/BE router. 

Badge

Thanks for the advice.  At least knowing the G54 will never have 160 Mhz knocks it off the list.

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

I haven’t tried this setup but you can select 160MHz by enabling DFS on 5GHz High and Low bands.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I really feel like DFS should be enabled by default. Fired mine up and was testing it and didn’t even see that. Shooties. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Thanks for pointing that out @Netopia 

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Thanks for pointing that out @Netopia 

Glad to pitch in.  I’m curious, which client device are you using for 160MHz?  I mainly use mobile phones & tables for personal and laptop for work.  Trying to see if I can benefit from the 160MHz. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’ve got a desktop with an intel BE200, a laptop with a Intel AX210, and then a motorola edge plus 2023. So 2x wifi 7 devices and a 6E device. 

Is the 160hz nice for speedtesting? Sure

do I need it for anything else? nope. All my devices that really need high throughput are hardwired in. 

The phones/laptops all would be fine on 80hz. 

I just like to play :)