Question

extending wifi signal in G54

• 7 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

My G54 arrived today and I’ve replaced the rented comcast device. The G54 has a greater reach but still not as far as I need it to be. I’d like to extend the wifi signal and wondering the best way to do this. My tech knowledge is minimal and I don’t understand the difference between extender, bridge and mesh. Which product would you recommend. Also wondering if any of these will match the wifi 7 signal and if not, will they be upgradable via firmware or is there new hardware soon to be released. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What size home are you trying to cover and is the router centrally located? 

Thats a bit key as I only recommend extenders if you’re only needing one of them. 

If you’re needing more than 1, then moving to a mesh system is a better option. 

Also, what are you interior walls in the home made from (certain materials block wifi better than others). 

I’m not currently aware of any wifi 7 extenders, just routers and mesh systems. 

but if you’re not needing super fast speeds and just want to reach a little further, potentially using an older system or single older extender would be fine in the meantime. 

Badge +1

Thank you very much for the response. We have a small home; 3 levels, constructed of wood and drywall. The router is centrally located and gives solid coverage throughout the house. 

I’d like the signal to be available outside. We have an acre of property and spend a lot of time outside. I’m hoping to be as connected outside as we are inside.

Currently, the area in our house most distant to the router gets a 45% signal which seems acceptable to me. Outside the house, the strongest I receive is 20% and that is when standing immediately next to the house. I’d like to have a quality signal 100 feet or more from the house. I don’t know if it matters but our property is densely wooded.

As for wifi 7, I’m just trying to be as current as possible so the item doesn’t become outdated too quickly. I’ve purchased items in the past which were viewed as obsolete/legacy in as little as 3 years. I’m happy to wait a few months on my purchase if doing so means I’ll get a longer life from the item. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case we would suggest you to try using mesh system which will cover wider range and will also act as WIFI extenders so please have a look on mesh system to solve the issue you can check in shop.surfboard.com for product specification and details.