Question

Photos getting corrupted while image transferring in G54

• 15 November 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge +1

I’m suddenly having photos on my remote drive showing up as corrupted with distortion and lines running through them. These images are transferred between my MacBook Pro and the Synology Raid via WiFi. The image can look fine on my computer but as soon as it’s transferred to the drive, it is corrupted. Or an image on the drive can look fine but then when I reopen it a few minutes later, it is corrupted. I suspect the G54 is causing this. How can I test for it and fix it?

12 replies

Badge +1

UPDATE - I’m now confident this is a problem with the G54 WiFi and not my computer or the Synology drive. The corruption problem remains when tested with a different computer and the problem does not exist when connecting to the Synology via ethernet. 

I do not feel it is corrupting the files which already exist on the drive but is corrupting the data when transferred from the drive to a computer via WiFi. I base this on the fact the same file can be opened multiple times and sometimes it is fine, other times it is corrupted and sometimes it returns an error saying “could not open because of a problem parsing the TIFF file”. I should point out the the same file opened multiple time will show different corruption each time it is opened. 

I contacted tech support over the phone but I don’t believe he understood the problem. He had me read upstream and downstream QAM numbers from the WAN dashboard. Based upon these values, he said the router was not receiving a strong enough signal from our provider (Comcast). He concluded the problem lies with comcast and not the router. 

This makes no sense to me since the Synology drive is local and connected to the router via ethernet. There is no internet involved in accessing these images. 

This is an URGENT problem, working with these photos is my job and this problem is directly impacting my salary. I desperately need advice, please help. 

Badge +1

this is an example of the corruption I’m seeing

Badge +1

this is how it should appear (the dark line below his belly is a wire fence in the foreground)

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since the photos are getting corrupted while sending from Synology Raid to MacBook Pro, I suggest you to change the Wi-Fi channels and try to transfer the files again.

To change the Wi-Fi channels, please find the below link:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G54-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge +1

Thank you very much for this advice and the link. 

The spectrum analyzer showed I’m receiving a very strong signal from my neighbor. I selected channels that are different than the ones their device is using. My first test is still getting corrupted images but this sounds like a promising fix and easy to apply. I will work my way through the various options in the hope one will solve the problem.

If you don’t mind, I have two follow up questions. 

I’m curious about the setting for “Dynamic Channel Selection”. Will leaving this enabled allow the router to override my manual selections?

What is the difference between 5 GHz “High” and standard? All the traffic seems to be on high.

Thank you.

Badge +1

Nearly one month in and I’m still fighting this problem. I couldn’t be more disappointed in G54 and it’s complete lack of support. Here is my latest update:

Although a direct connection to the synology showed no image corruption, I couldn’t rule out that it might be the source of the problem. I invested in a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra 8TB device which immediately showed the same corruption problem. In addition, I have encountered problems with other types of files failing to transfer so this does not appear to be restricted to images. 

Clearly there is something seriously wrong with this device or the overall design of G54. I don’t know if the problem lies with the wifi or the ethernet but I seriously regret this purchase. There must be some way to test this and identify the problem.

Badge +1

I should have mentioned that changing the channel, as suggested previously, did not help the situation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I apologize for the inconvenience and also understand that the problem is still persisting. 

I suggest you to check with the Synology Raid and Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra 8TB device manufacturer for any additional configuration settings since all other devices are working fine with Wi-Fi connection.

Badge +1

Thank you for commenting but I am convinced the problem is the G54. Not sure if it’s hardware or software but the WiFi performance is terrible even if my computer is sitting immediately next to the router. 

I have done extensive testing. The corruption exist on multiple computers (multiple generations and OS of apple and dell devices). We also use WiFi to stream TV and movies where the picture often freezes for a few seconds. The same problem exist with our phones and tablets streaming both audio only or video. 

It is too easy for Arris to blame others as they blamed comcast when I phoned for support. The source of the problem is the G54. It has been over one month and my warranty is running out. How can I get them to take action on this??? Do I need to start contacting Better Business Bureau? The media? Government watchdogs?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @rickde,

Our Technical Support team tried reaching out to you multiple times this week.  The issue you’re seeing is also reported on Synology Community back in 2021, https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/140003.  It doesn’t look like it’s limited to the G54 and our Technical Support would like to replicate your issue.

If your previous network address is different than the G54, restart the NAS to release and renew IP address on the NAS.   If you’re using SMB instead of SAMBA, try the solution on this URL https://www.nsgp.net/2023/05/how-to-resolve-smb-file-share-issues-in-macos-ventura/.

Badge +1

Thank you for looking into this and contacting me. A pair of severe winter storms left us without power or internet since Tuesday, so I was unable to receive or reply to any messages.

I tried the SMB / SAMBA solution but continue to see corruption.

I have not yet read all the comments in the Synology link, but I will make a point of doing so. From what I have read so far, I’m skeptical this is the same issue. They are primarily focused on Apple computers and say corruption exists when connected via ethernet.

My corruption does not exist over ethernet – only over wifi – and has been seen on multiple devices, including a Dell laptop. In addition, I have since purchased a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra and the exact same problem exists: corruption over wifi but not over ethernet.

Also, there is too much focus on the images. I mentioned them in my original post because that was where I first noticed the problem. I work on images daily, but over the weeks since then, I’ve been noticing wide-spread problems. Corruption exists across multiple file types, including Excel, inDesign, PowerPoint, and simple text files. Wifi problems exist across multiple devices, including phones, tablets, and televisions. Streaming live audio and video on any of these is prone to freezing, no matter my distance from the G54. I have had devices as close as two feet from the G54 and still experienced drop-outs.

And here is the most important part: NONE of these problems existed until I installed the G54.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @rickde,

Thank you for the additional information.  I will private message you shortly to gather additional information.