Sticky GUI, ERR, SSL, TLS, Login

192.168.0.1 uses an unsupported protocol

• 9 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

A browser message on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and Linux browsers may appear when accessing Web Manager on SURFboard gateway models SBG6400/SBG6580-2/SBG6700-AC/SBG6782-AC/SBG6900-AC.  The message includes 192.168.0.1 uses an unsupported protocol and ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.  The Web Manager uses an earlier version of the TLS (Transport Layer Security protocol) protocol and does not match the version allowed by the web browser.  

Safari browser on Apple PC and mobile devices are not impacted.

The workaround to access the Web Manager with PC is to use Firefox browser and set the TLS to version 1.   We recommend to revert the TLS setting back to default after completing the Web Manager task.

Set TLS version 1 in Firefox

1. Enter about:config in the Firefox address bar and press the Enter key.
  2. Click the Accept Risk and Continue button.
  3. Enter security.tls.version in the Search preference name field, . 
  4. Locate security.tls.version.min and click the pencil icon. 
  5. Enter the value 1 and press the Enter key.
  6. Open a new tab to access the Web Manager at http://192.168.0.1.  
  7. It is highly recommended to revert the TLS version back to default.  Go to the Advance Preference tab and then click the left arrow next to the pencil icon to set security.tls.version.min back to default.

6 replies

I have the exact same problem with my ARRIS G-34 Router/Modem and tried the FF security fix but does not resolve the issue.

I’ve owned many routers and modems over the last 30 years but this is the first ever experienced and should never happen with modern hardware. I’ll try again using the FF v63.03 and if that doesn’t work will return this piece of junk that cost over $200 and will never buy another ARRIS product.

It is the same problem in Safari 16.4 (18615.1.26.11.23) as in Chrome.

Are you going to release a permanent fix for the SSL issues on SBG6580-2, or this is never going to be resolved? (I do not know if this modem supports a firmware upgrade at all)

I have the same problem with a ARRIS SBG6782-AC, Motorola is a brand I have trusted can we expect a firmware update or some kind of a solution for this problem?

This is a problem on Mac too.  I can just about get past the username and password using Safari, but then I get to this page where I cannot do anything - the only links that work take me to the Arris webpage.  

Badge +1

unable to access admin portal on G36

we could not verify the certificate: reason = untrusted

no option to continue; happens on multiple computers with multiple browsers

The Firefox security.tls.version.min “work around” does NOT WORK for me

Badge

Thank you for this solution. 

Resolved!