Solved

How Can I Confirm after Wired Backhaul? W121

Badge +1

I have a pair of W121 mesh wi-fi units.  I set it up with the 2nd unit upstairs and configured it with a wi-fi backhaul (wireless).  Worked.  Then I ran an ethernet cable to use Wired Backhaul.  How can I know the system is using the wire and not the wi-fi as before?   I combed through the app and see no indication the Wire is working.  How can I tell?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Support 7 July 2023, 19:12

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Seattle_Dave

To identify the connected device list whether it is on ethernet or Wi-Fi using surfboard central app is not possible because there is no such feature available on the application for mesh system. You can view all the connected devices on the but it cannot show the differentiate the devices connected to Wi-Fi or wired and its not only with W121 on all mesh system there is no such feature available.

Badge +1

Thank you Surfboard moderator but that isn’t exactly what my question was.  I do not need to know which device is connected to a router with a wire.  I want to ensure that the satellite is operating on the ethernet wire and not wirelessly with the main router.  It is called wired or ethernet backhaul. 

Badge +1

When I remove the ethernet cable that connects the satellite to the main router, the speed does not change to connected devices. I’m quite sure that this unit does not support wired backhaul.  Even though the Arris marketing claims it does!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

When I remove the ethernet cable that connects the satellite to the main router, the speed does not change to connected devices. I’m quite sure that this unit does not support wired backhaul.  Even though the Arris marketing claims it does!

Hello @Seattle_Dave,

The wired backhaul is supported on the mAX systems.  I might be a matter of the BH speed not reflecting in the app.  Are you using Android or iOS app?  What version is the app?  

Try directly connecting the Ethernet cable from the main router to one of the LAN ports on the SAT unit and look for main router in the SAT’s device list to confirm connectivity.  

Badge

@Seattle_Dave how did you do the Wifi backhaul? 

Badge +1

Wi-Fi backhaul is easy to configure using the app.  I ran an Ethernet cable to do WIRED backhaul. Arris claims on their site this model can accommodate it.  Unfortunately, I do not trust that it is true. When I connect the wire between the satellite and the main router nothing changes.  Nothing changes in my connectivity, in the app, or in the units.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Seattle_Dave

I’d like to look into your wired backhaul setup.  

Are you using Android or iOS app?  What version is the app?  

Could you run this test by directly connecting the Ethernet cable from the main router to one of the LAN ports on the SAT unit?  Look for main router in the SAT’s device list to confirm connectivity.  

Badge +1

IOS app version 4.115

Model W21

Ethernet wire connected

7 devices showing up connected to the satellite but the main router is not listed. 

Other mesh systems indicate wired connection vs wireless backhaul with a solid vs dotted line in the app. This app does not appear to indicate a wired connection.

I have the same issue with the W133.  During setup it forced me to connect the mesh to the network via wireless backhaul.  I have a direct ethernet connection from the main router to the satellite, however, I am receiving a “low backhaul rate” notification which tells me it is using the wireless and not the ethernet.

How do me and @Seattle_Dave resolve this?

Badge +1

I think we are wasting our time. The units apparently are not capable of Ethernet backhaul as Arris’ marketing claims. It is apparently a lie.

@Seattle_Dave I think I am going to put in a refund thru Amazon and try out a different product.  Very disappointing

Badge +1

@ChiCityClutch I don’t blame you. I checked my app and am also getting the “low backhaul rate” warning. It suggests I move the placement of my router which pretty much proves it is still connecting through wireless backhaul and not the Ethernet cable.  I bought my pair on the Warehouse Deals for 70 bucks so I’ll just sell them on Ebay. Too bad really, Arris makes the best modems. They just haven’t figured out how to do routers yet. The sad thing is now that I feel duped by their marketing lies I really won’t trust them again for a long time.  I’ll probably go with TP-Link or Orbi. 

@Seattle_Dave I'm laughing that they actually marked this post resolved lol.

I actually returned the product via Amazon and they gave me a full refund even though it was past the window since Arris advertised a backhaul that clearly doesn't work or isn't supported.

I ended up going with the Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 for my mesh setup.  I can verify the wired backhaul is supported and works beautifully.  Literally was just plug and play.  I was back up and running in about 15 minutes.

Badge +1

@ChiCityClutch Someone at Arris got nervous we shined light on their little scam so they resolved the thread to hush us up.  I left a scathing 1 * review on Amazon. Maybe (doubt it) they will wise up and make better products in the future. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Asus. I’ve read amazing reviews about Asus mesh systems. I may have to go that route. Any route that takes me away from this Surfboard scam garbage crap would be a big step up. 

@Seattle_Dave I really hope they do wise up, their modems are fantastic but the experience with the mesh router left a really bad taste in my mouth.  As you said, very disappointing.

No problem, keep reading up and see if it works for you.  All I can say is I’ve had the Asus for a few months now it has been great so far.  Best of luck in your search bud.