Skip to main content

I have this same error when trying to install a W31 satellite at my moms house . Yes, I used her cell phone with the app.. Had no issues when installing a W31 satellite in my home using the app on my cell phone. I have reset the W31 satellite unit several times by pressing reset button for 15 seconds. I have also confirmed bluetooth on her phone has paired with the W31. But, everytime I go through installation I get the “Bluetooth Connection Failed” error message every time as per image above. I have been through this process about 10 times with the same result. Also, light on the W31 is flashing amber, green, and  blue. Eventually, the W31 would not even go through the forst part of the install. Seems like a broken W31 to. me. Any suggestions short of returning the W31 to seller?

In this case to assist you on this further could you please help me with the following details

Acquire the model for the main router

Try to do the factory reset for 30 seconds by press and holding reset button on the satellite 

Then when the satellite moves to a blinking white and blue/ yellow and blue, that is when to proceed with the setup 

The main router has to be a steady blue, check if it is a steady blue.

In the surfboard central app on the home page check if the you can able to see the modem, main router.

Yes, main router is blue as is first satellite. Did 30 second rest and got same results. But now it will not proceed beyong first installation step because it can’t establish bluetooth connection with app on my phone. Yes, W31 is paired to bluetooth on my phone. Unpaired bluetooth, powered down W31, power up and did 30 second reset, repaired with phone bluetooth, and started over several times with same result. Uninstalled Surfboard app and reinstalled…. same result. By the way, this process took several tries when installing my first satellite, but eventually it connected.and installed. This should be a seamless process. If it isn’t, something is wrong. By the way, this W31 is an eBay reconditioned unit. I think they just  plugged them in to make sure they powered on, and sell them. Just returned the unit to eBay for refund.They will probably sell to someone else. My suggestion, don’t buy used, buy NEW!!!

Since you were experienced with Bluetooth connection errors, have you tried with the following troubleshooting:

Solution: Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on the client device, if it already is, toggle it off, then back on, and retry. On Android devices, a Bluetooth pairing key may be presented that has to be accepted to successfully pair the mAX router and the smartphone. Move your mobile device closer to the mAX router and retry.  Verify the LED is alternating between blue and white.

Yeah, yeah, yeah….. done it all. Bought a new W31 and it connected to bluetooth and installed first time I tried. I purchased three used W31 from eBay and all three did not connect to bluetooth…. they were broken! These guys on eBay sell returned (broken) W31’s for about $60 hoping they work. My guess is they have no way of testing a used W31 before they sell it. Got my money back all three times but what a waste of time!!!! My suggestion, DON’T BUY USED W31 FROM EBAY.

Also, I find it a bit disturbing that three different W31’s have bluetooth connection problems, and  that many people online complain about W31 bluetooth connection problems. Come on Arris, bluetooth is pretty bulletproof these days and should be a seamless connection.