Solved

arris sbg6580 - replace or something else

• 21 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have had this sbg6580 for years now and has been good except range.  We had an extender that helped but when the painter came they lost it.  So, I was looking to replace the extender and called COX. I did a speed test while I was at it and even though COX had download speeds up to 150 mbps. I am getting 50.  Also, I cannot get wifi reception even 30 feet down the all.    As for the speed, COX is saying modem. I doubt that. So, now I am trying to figure out should I just get extender(s) or should I get a new modem/router and possibly extender. The house is only 2500 square feet (2 stories).   

Any assistance/advice appreciated.

icon

Best answer by plemans 22 May 2023, 15:04

View original

2 replies

Badge

I think I may have figured it out.  The download channels is only 8 on this older modem/router. It seems that 16 + is nearly required now… Now I need to figure out surfboard which one to get for range

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

That modem isn’t just a very base model mode, but its a slow wifi router as well. Its not even fully dual band as the “dual band” is switchable. Meaning its either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. And it was only N300. 

So yes, its time to upgrade. I’d look for a docsis 3.1 device.