Solved

Arris Touchstone CM820A/NA Cable Modem: Does it Have a Built-In MoCA® Immunity/POE Filter?

• 9 August 2022
  • 1 reply

I have a question regarding my Arris Touchstone Cable Modem (Model # CM820A/NA), and can’t find any related information here or elsewhere online.

I installed MoCA adapters into my home network to replace the powerline network adapters that stopped working.  While preparing to install the MoCA adapters, I read that it's recommended to install a POE filter at the cable service entry point to help block interference from nearby homes.  I also read that some cable modems have these filters built-in, so I'm trying to determine if mine does.

I read somewhere that the CM820A modem has a built-in MoCA® Immunity Filter.  Unfortunately, the online specifications for the CM820A/NA don't mention the filter, so I'm not sure if it has one.

I can't find anything describing the differences between the CM820A and the CM820A/NA, so I can't tell if my CM820A/NA has one of these filters built-in.  I'm also not sure if the CM820A and the CM820A/NA are the same modem, or if they are different.  It seems that there are various flavors of the CM820A (ex: the NA, the JA, and I think at least one other), so I'm confused.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!
icon

Best answer by plemans 12 August 2022, 15:28

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Have you tried it to see if it works? 

I’ve used several different moca adapters (like to test things) without using POE filters and never had an issue. 

One thing to keep in mind, that CM820a was released in 2011. At that time, moca 1.1 was the standard and moca 2.0 was just starting to be reviewed/released. So even if it had a filter, its filter would be moca 1.1 based. Moca 2.0 starts to build in filtering for docsis 3.1 devices.