Question

CM8200 slow speeds, firmware upgrade

• 21 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am helping my mother-in-law troubleshoot her Touchstone CM8200A modem that is not reaching the correct speeds from the ISP. The technician was able to achieve 1G on the line, but only 92 Mbps at the modem. The cable company is stating that she should purchase a new modem, but in the past I have found improvement with updated firmware, but apparently this is no longer allowed with DOCSIS. Are there any suggestions before this modem gets trashed.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

when people are getting 92-94mbps, it makes me suspicious that it isn’t connecting at gigabit speeds but only 10/100mbps connection. 

Try using a different ethernet cable (decent quality cat 6 cable) and/or pc/laptop to test with directly off the modem. 

Badge

I just assumed that people would get that I tested from the modem directly to rule out the router. Also used a known good cat 6 jumper.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Try a different cable then. I’ve seen cables that connected at gigabit speeds on one device, not connect at gigabit on another. 

Also, check the pins on the modem as well. A bent/corroded pin on the port can cause issues too.