Solved

Downstream Power Level

• 16 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi Everyone,

I recently have been very slow downloading.  Takes forever to just load a Roku channel.  I called my provider Comcast and they all looks good on their network.  I read an article on how to get into my modem.  I checked the Status page and Activity Log and all looked good.  I checked the Signal page and everything looked good except the Downstream Power.  The article I read said it should be between -15dBmV and +15.  It was showing 1dBmv across all channels.  It said try to refresh page but I didn’t know how to.  My question is this.  Does this power level come from my service provider and why might it be so low.  I am thinking this is why my download speed is low.  Thanks

icon

Best answer by plemans 17 May 2023, 16:18

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

if you’re at 1dmbv, you’re right in that windows between -7.5dbmv and 7.5dbmv (those are optimal levels). 

What modem do you have? 

What router is connected to it? 

What actual wired speed do you get testing?

Badge

Hi Plemans,

Thanks for the reply.  I have the SB 6121.  I have a Belkin N150 series.  It was cheap but has worked quite well over the years.  I am getting about 27 mbps download consistently.  I am supposed to get up to 200 mbps from comcast.  I am getting about 5.5 mbps upload.  Do you think I should check the router.  Thanks.

BTW, I am not Joe Biden

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

You are long past due for an upgrade. 

The SB6121 isn’t even rated for your speed tier. And most N150 devices weren’t gigabit capable. Its an old single band device with more than likely only a 10/100mbps connection. So both modem/router are bottlenecking your speeds. You should probably get more but we’d need more details. 

we could troubleshoot your connection but I’m betting a lot is related to the gear. 

the modem was released 13 years ago and I’d imagine the router even more than that since its several generations behind. 

You could either look for a modem/router combo device or separate modem from the router. I’m a fan of that route but for some, its easier to go with a combo device. 

I’d look at at least a docsis 3.1 device. Reason I say that is you didn’t upgrade for 13 years. the Docsis 3.0 spec is going to be slowly phased out because they’re requiring docsis 3.1 for lower and lower speed tiers. So I’d make sure to at least get a 3.1 modem. 

once you get updated, we’ll see what speeds you get and troubleshoot from there. 

Badge

Hi Plemans,

Yes, I know my stuff is old.  I prefer separating modem and router too.  Can you make any recommendations.  I am retired.  We use very little bandwidth.  Mostly a little email and 2 roku’s that aren’t used much.  No gaming or any large bandwidth stuff.  It is not a big deal if you don’t have recommendations.  I will probably get an update SB and new router.  

Thanks again for your help.

Chris