Solved

Modem WiFi v. Mesh WiFi

• 16 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Arris SBG 6580

I just installed a Google WiFi mesh system. One of the 4 satellites attaches to the cable  modem/router via ethernet cable and also provides WiFi transmission to the area/room it's in. 

Question.... Is there a way to disable the modem's WiFi transmission since the nearby satellite is already providing better WiFi transmission? I don't want to turn off the modem, but do want to disable (just) the WiFi transmission on the modem. I don't need any WiFi signal from the modem since I already have a stronger WiFi transmission being provided by the satellite.

Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 27 August 2023, 09:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Yes,we can disable Wi-Fi transmission from the modem, as you have a Gateway sbg6580 follow the below link for  bridge mode :

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-2-Bridge-Mode-Setup

Badge

Hi, thanks very much... I'll give it a try. I guess bridge mode cancels the WiFi from the Arris modem/router, but doesn't disturb the ethernet connected devices I have attached to it, including the Google WiFi mesh satellite attached to it, correct?  Do,I need to re-setup the mesh after I create the bridge, or do anything else?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

After enabling Bridge mode on the modem you can use only one ethernet port on the modem to access internet so make sure the main router is connected to the modem working ethernet port and setup router for proper connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Whether you need to reconfigure your mesh will depend on exactly how you set it up in the first place and what generation of Google devices you are using. I have an SB8200 modem, and 5 of the first gen Google WiFi units. Those ones are “physically” identical, but during setup you must pick which one is primary and will handle DHCP and so forth. You set that one up, then add the others. If you were using the Arris for DHCP (which I would expect) then I would expect that you would need to factory reset your Google devices and start over. 

I use: SB8200 > Google WiFi > 2 D-Link DGS-108 > 4 Google WiFi with ethernet backhaul.