Solved

Need help choosing a router for our Smart Thermostat

• 6 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Greetings! Our HVAC Smart Thermostat requires a “2.4 & 5 GHz, EERO, 2-address” router. Service Electric recommends “Docsis 3.1.” The HVAC tech says it must provide the two frequencies on separate addresses. I’m not able to sort through all the models to find the right one. Any suggestions? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 November 2023, 17:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

suggestion? Get a new tech. 

If you have an eero it has dual band. But either the tech doesn’t know what he’s doing, the app was poorly made, or their installing some junk for the thermostat. 

It shouldn’t need the ssid (name) separate to install. 

If it does, just cheat. Set your phones hotspot with the same exact ssid/password as your router (turn the router/satellites off). Setup the thermostat using the phones hotspot. Once the thermostat is setup, shut off the hotspot and turn the router back on. the thermostat should auto-connect without issues. 

Badge

I don’t have an EERO. The connection is needed to receive updates from Carrier as well as store programming info. I don’t use apps. All I know is that he suggested a router with the specs I mentioned. and our Internet provider only recommends Arris. I cannot find a way to contact Arris to ask what model we can purchase. The HVAC company receives nothnig from this. Can anyone please help?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you would like to connect the HVAC Smart Thermostat, which would connect with the 2.4GHz of the Router.

All our gateways(a combination of Modem and Router) which is dual-band (that supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Please check our shopboard.com (Wi-Fi cable modems 3.1 DOCSIS) for more information.

Badge

Thank you for a concise, relevant answer! I will look at the available models.

I think you meant “surfbboard.com” not “shopboard.com,” correct?