Solved

Need to check modem warranty, software update, intermittent connection on modem

• 6 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I am trying to find out how old my Modem is.  I have the SURFboard Model SB6141.  Is there a way to look it up?  At what point do I need to replace it, or are software updates keeping it current?  The only issue I am having, and I don’t know if it’s the modem or the router, is that my new Laser Printer keeps dropping the IP address for the 2.4GHz and disconnecting (the printer says it’s connected to my wifi network but the IP changes from the valid one to a non-valid 169 IP).  

Thanks

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 8 June 2023, 00:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello colscuba1

SB6141 is just a cable modem without inbuilt WIFI so yes we hope you have connected separate router to the modem to access WIFI. To check the modem warranty you can reach out to arris.com/consumersupport and about the software or firmware updates ,The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS SB6141, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. Even for the device owned by the customers since the modem is activated by the Internet service provider you need to check for software update with your ISP. 

To confirm whether the issue is with the router connection or else with the modem we need to check the modem cable signal level, so on direct connection without router please follow the steps mentioned on the link below

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6141-Cable-Signal-Level

Let us know if this helps.