Skip to main content
Solved

Router Remote Setup

• 9 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a separate property with multiple devices (security cameras, irrigation, thermostat) hooked up to my home network via wifi, and my current router just died. I am looking at purchasing a new Arris router and having a neighbor plug it in. However, for my devices to automatically reconnect to my wifi signal, I will need to change the Arris factory SSID name and password to match my current network credentials. I know how to do this when I am connected via the same network using the generic IP address for all routers, but I clearly am not going to be onsite to access my new router that way. I read that the Arris Surfboard app will allow a device to be linked to the app by manually entering its SSID and wifi passcode. So will my Surfboard router come with a UNIQUE SSID (not generic 192.168.0.1 or similar) and passcode that I can manually enter into the app accessed via a DIFFERENT wifi network to enable me to access my router to them change its network credentials REMOTELY? If it helps, I’m looking at purchasing the G34. Thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

It looks to me like it will, but I’ve never used the app to try and do this remotely. https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Name-and-Password