Solved

SB6121 Modem with intermittent drops on Internet vb

• 22 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Our Internet speed of 200 Mbps has been dropping recently even after virtual resets by Internet provider and physical resetting modem and router by me. Internet is now routinely popping up and stating "Unstable Connection". Everything looks fine according  to our internet provider, so not sure what is causing the drops in service. Could this be my modem? It's at least nine years old, but I'm not sure how to problem solve possible modem issues. My Netgear Nighthawk router is virtually new and similar  ratings as the last one that died on me not long ago. 

icon

Best answer by plemans 24 January 2024, 17:23

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Basically, intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider. So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further. please follow the steps mentioned on the below articel to check the cable signal level.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6121-Cable-Signal-Levels

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6121 is a really old first generation docsis 3.0 device with only 4x4 modem capability. Most ISP’s have end-of-life’d it or won’t add it to their service. Cox and xfinity only certifies it to 75-100mbps. 

Whether you get it working decently or not, I’d be watching to upgrade to something docsis 3.1 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Might also be why the speed is dropping if the isp is decreasing the speed tier its approved for.