Solved

Surfboard issue or Xfinity?

• 2 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I own a Surfboard SVG2482AC, getting downloads around 200 but xfinity plan should go up to 1200 mps  . I have no issue with service but am clearly overpaying for service I am not receiving. Xfinity is blaming the modem (it is 3.5 years old) saying I should use their modem as they will always keep it updated. 

How do I know if it really IS my modem and if I should purchase a new modem, or if it is their service?  I only discovered this issue when trying out Verizon 5G service and comparing speeds online, so I do not know if it has always been this speed or not. (disclaimer- This was put in by our builder/tech division and I am not super techy so please explain to me like a toddler :)

icon

Best answer by plemans 3 May 2023, 15:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40
  1. you didn’t put how you were testing speeds. Wired? Wireless? what device are you testing on? What site are you testing with? 
  2. The SVG won’t hit 1gig speeds but i think its approved up to 400mbps because its internal modem is only a 24x8 modem. While its rated for faster speeds, xfinity doesn’t support it for faster speeds. 
Badge
  1. you didn’t put how you were testing speeds. Wired? Wireless? what device are you testing on? What site are you testing with? 
  2. The SVG won’t hit 1gig speeds but i think its approved up to 400mbps because its internal modem is only a 24x8 modem. While its rated for faster speeds, xfinity doesn’t support it for faster speeds. 

Thank you.  I am testing on my Mac, which is wireless.  I am using Speedtest by Ookla, however I tried a few others with the same result.  I have consistently used Ookla for the last week, at different times of the day

Badge

Would you suggest I upgrade the SVG or if this is working fine, just downgrade my xfinity plan?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Try testing on a wired device and see what speeds you get. 

Wireless tends to be a bottleneck for phones/computers/etc. 

In terms of upgrading, thats a choice you’d have to make. Most people don’t see much speed difference once they get past that 300mbps+ speeds. so it’d be more on what you think you need.