Solved

S33 Loses all conectivity

• 14 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have been having problems with Xfinity service?  I was finding that I would lose all internet connection for 24-36 hours at a time. Ihad Xfinity out and they stated my service was fine and eventually told my my modem was obsolete. I purchased a S33 at that time and all was good. Now three times in the last week I have lost access. It is both WIFI and my hard wired computer. I have attempted to restart the S33 and my router and this does not work. I switch to my hotspot and do what I need to do. I will come home from work and presto wifi is working again without me doing anything. While on support with Xfinity I bypassed my router and plugged my computer directly into the router with no success. They are telling me it is my hardware (router) since they can see it and state it is online. Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 16 November 2023, 03:52

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

S33 is cable modem and you are having separate router for WIFI so in this to check the modem connection you need to connect any device for direct connection without router and monitor connection for 24hrs if still internet drops then we would suggest you to check the cable signal level on the modem interface by following the steps mentioned on the below link. This will help us to check the signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Cable-Signal-Levels