Skip to main content
Solved

Can't access 192.168.100.1

• 12 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Ok, this is just pointless.  I’m trying to diagnose random internet drops.  Xfinity says it’s my modem.  I’d like to access the logs, but the only way to do that is to hook my computer directly to the modem AND REBOOT IT!  Which clears the logs.  Arris has a handy dandy app, but it doesn’t have any actual functionality and can’t access anything?  So other than unhooking my wi-fi router and bringing down my entire home network to hook a computer directly to the modem and wait hours for a another network issue, how am I supposed to access the logs? 

Arris could fix this multiple ways.

Let me change what the modem is connected to without a reboot.

Make an actually useful app.

Allow the option to automatically send logs.

the problem isn’t caused by arris. Its because the ISP only assigns 1 public ip address. When the router is connected, its assigned to the router. When you direct connect the computer to the modem, you have to get that ip address connected to the pc and not the router. 

what ip address are you using for the router?

The router is 192.168.1.1, typical setup.  It has a “real” 24…. address as well.

Try using Firefox if you are using Edge to access the cable modem’s webpage.  Edge does not display the event logs for the S33 on my PC but I can view them via Firefox. 

192.168.100.1 = S33   If you direct connect to the cable modem, make sure your PC is on the same subnet.  Give your PC an IP address such as 192.168.100.2  subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway:  192.168.100.1

192.168.1.1 = router (yours may be different).  If you haven’t changed the router and cable modem default IP address (always change the login creds even if it’s randomized on a sticker attached to the device), you should have no problem logging into the S33.  Don’t use the mobile app.  Uninstall the mobile app if you have not already, it’s literally worthless.

Make triple sure the coax has not worked it’s way loose on the S33, if the cabling in your house has multiple splitters, connectors, etc, connect the modem as close to the incoming coax as possible (i.e. if it comes into the living room and you’ve used 3 connecters to extend that coax so it reaches the room completely opposite the living room, don’t.  Just connect the modem to the coax in the living room. 

192.168.100.1 = S33   If you direct connect to the cable modem, make sure your PC is on the same subnet.  Give your PC an IP address such as 192.168.100.2  subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway:  192.168.100.1

Thanks, that worked!  I tried changing IP before but must have missed something.

I have 3 active coax connections including the modem, but I put the modem by itself and put it on the low loss leg of the splitter originally.  I have since changed the splitter to see if it was bad so now it’s on a splitter with 3 equal legs.  Regardless, the levels look ok to me.

Xfinity was doing some work on the lines in my area last night so any events won’t be random today, but I’ll attach everything anyway.  If anybody wants to tell me what the heck is going on in that event log…. wow.