Skip to main content
Solved

I just want to test my internet speed from my modem.

• 20 October 2023
  • 15 replies

I went to my computer and put in the usual 198.168.100.1 and password wasn’t my password but the last 8 of the S/N so I get that straightened out and then it says for a better experience and more options use the app. On my web page there’s no way or option to test my speed from my provider to Xfinity that I could find. Under status there’s bonded channel’s both up and down, frequency, db’s, power and a lot of locked things that I have no idea what they mean, but nothing on the actual speed? Under event log apparently a lot happened in 1969. 

So I go to the app and in order to check my network I have to ok for this “third party” to look at my network with agreements written by lawyers for lawyers that I need to ok. So I ok it and it searches through all my personal private parts and then list’s what’s on my network but doesn’t list the modem itself, my router is there and everything else but not the actual modem that I want the information from. On the home page it has My Network but only shows the S33 which isn’t clickable or anything. Device Specifications has a view all that just shows you a pdf file that came with the modem. Under firmware it says N/A so I’m assuming this doesn’t use any. Of course at the bottom of the home page I can maximize my home network by buying more of their stuff.

So after giving this unknown third party access to my network my home page never changed and the network information offered was stuff that I already knew. So I’m apparently logged in but not logged in because the message “We recommend using our Mobile Application - SURFboard Central - for better experience configuring and accessing new features customized for your device.” doesn’t offer anything new for me to do and it doesn’t show any of the stuff I see on my computer’s web browser. 

So I try the web browser on my iPhone with the same Google chrome, login on the same wifi. And it wont let me log in saying my new password that I just reset and are using on my computer isn’t correct. 

According to my NetGear router from the modem it’s only receiving 1000 M/Full when with the Xfinity modem it was able to get over 1300MBs and used the same 2.5Gb Wan connection. 

Sorry long post but honestly why is this so much work? I’ve only ever had Netgear routers/modem’s and getting the information was so easy even for an old idiot like myself. 

What router do you have from netgear? 

(btw, you can check in the netgear wan port specifics if its connected at gigabit speeds or 2.5gig speeds)

Easiest/best way to test speeds on a modem is to directly connect the modem to a computer and test. 

I agree with plemans. My most accurate results come using the built in test suite (Google) that comes with my Google routers. Second best is running the Ookla app (download and install) from a PC. Running a web version, or while anything else is running in the background, may dramatically reduce the results. At the levels you are looking at, I don’t know how precise the tools will be.

If you’re on xfinity, try their speedtest site. Some sites stuggle with gig+ speeds. Xfinity’s will saturate it on their service

First please let me apologize. I had no idea anyone responded to this post as I didn't receive any notifications. Lucky I still had the tab open or I'd most likely not have been able to find my way back.  

What router do you have from netgear? 

(btw, you can check in the netgear wan port specifics if its connected at gigabit speeds or 2.5gig speeds)

Easiest/best way to test speeds on a modem is to directly connect the modem to a computer and test. 

So I'm using a NetGear XR500 router with DumaOS but for some reason the speed is set to 1000mbps download and it wont let me change it or rather I change it and it just spins rather then updating. I tried searching and could find nothing on it online. Of course everything is up to date with upgrades and firmware. 

Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving my whole living room around and my ethernet cable now will not reach my computer upstairs. As much as it pains me I'll look while I'm at Best Buy this morning to see about picking one up off the shelf. All my cables are from Blue Jeans and tested. 

I did order a new router with 10gb and 2.5gb Wan/Lan ports that'll arrive today so I'll be setting that up today.

I agree with plemans. My most accurate results come using the built in test suite (Google) that comes with my Google routers. Second best is running the Ookla app (download and install) from a PC. Running a web version, or while anything else is running in the background, may dramatically reduce the results. At the levels you are looking at, I don’t know how precise the tools will be.

I usually use the Speedtest by Ookla on my computer, Apple TV box and iphone. Even the Netgear Nighthawk app uses them. But for some reason this morning Google speed looked good 951 down and 42 up while the Ookla kept telling me it couldn't find the internet. Yet they are both on the same computer. 

If you’re on xfinity, try their speedtest site. Some sites stuggle with gig+ speeds. Xfinity’s will saturate it on their service

The Xfinity speed test is 926 down which I’m now assuming is the router since I can’t change the speed on it for some reason. 

Still why isn’t there a way to just test the modem without having to disconnect wires? 

Because modems are very simplified devices and they want minimal features in them. They are literally supposed to be set and forget. the more features you add, the more complex it is to certify for ISP’s. 

And therefore the more expensive it is for them. So they push back on that. 

but modem/router combo devices have (usually) that option. 

Because modems are very simplified devices and they want minimal features in them. They are literally supposed to be set and forget. the more features you add, the more complex it is to certify for ISP’s. 

And therefore the more expensive it is for them. So they push back on that. 

but modem/router combo devices have (usually) that option. 

Ok I can get that but this should be much much easier than it is.  

so I connected my BestBuy Ethernet cable straight from the modem and my Mac mini and I get no internet at all. Just the yellow dot next to Self-assigned IP under Network details.  I thought maybe the cable was bad so I sneaked my other out of the wall and after a couple if reboots of the computer and modem I got it to work but the results were the same.  Tried both ports on the modem. 

I’ve added pictures of what my connections are through the modem to Xfinity and they seem about the same as going through my router. 

You’re hitting 945mbps download and 36mbps upload. that’s xfinity’s 1 gig plan speeds. What speeds are you expecting to hit? Because those are spot on

(and the mac mini doesn’t have a multi-gigabit port so that’s maxing out its port)

You’re hitting 945mbps download and 36mbps upload. that’s xfinity’s 1 gig plan speeds. What speeds are you expecting to hit? Because those are spot on

Under the Xfinity modem I was hitting 1300- 1400 on my 1200mbps service. I want to know that I’m getting all that I can out of my system before the next tier of internet service becomes available. I was hitting 900mbps on my old 1gb Netgear router I just recycled today at BB. I have a switch with 2 10gb ports and the rest 2.5gb, the router I’m setting up next has 2 10gb ports and 4 2.5gb ports. all connected with Cat6A cables. I want my network set to the max it can be before I look at upgrading my computers and building a NAS. 

I didn’t realize that the Mac mini was limited to 1gb.  

Until you have a pc or router that has multi-gigabit speeds, you won't be able to see those speeds. So when the new router comes in, check that. 

Xfinity’s was a modem/router combo device with multi-gigabit capability. They can do that. Netgears CAX80 and Arris’s G36 or G54 both are multi-gigabit and could hit those speeds 

OK. Thank you so much for your time. It’s been a few years since I’ve had a NAS up and running and doing all this network speed analyzing. 

Much appreciate all your help. 

what router did you order? 

Based on your spec’s, its a pretty new/flagship router

what router did you order? 

Based on your spec’s, its a pretty new/flagship router

It’s the TP-Link Tri-Band BE9300 WiFi 7 Router Archer BE550 which gets very confusing when looking it up as Walmart has it for less but with only 1 2.5gb port. And I lied the model I got only has the one 10gb Wan port and four 2.5gb ports. The one I tried to buy last night at Best Buy and none of the stores within an hour and a half had it was the TP-Link - Archer BE800 BE19000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 which has the two 10gb Wan/Lan ports and four 2.5gb ports.

Still solid. Dong Knows does a good review on it. Please check on the manufacturer site.

Still solid. Dong knows did a review on it. I linked to it but it gets moderated when you put links in it. Worth the read