Skip to main content
Solved

S33 modem - Xfinity (AGAIN) - csn i get more than 275mbps?

• 21 October 2023
  • 9 replies

I have read the other comments, and it seems like this may be an Xfinity throttling thing!

But I pay for 800 MBPS - and get less than 300?

Is there anything I can do on my end??

how are you testing? 

What device? 

Hardwired? Wireless?

What speedtest site are you using?

I have used the Google speed test-  recommended by surfboard have used the speed test built-in inside of FING

and I have used Ookla. All of the tests are similar.

I have done the tests on a Wi-Fi connected phone, on a wired PC, and on a wireless PC- (windows)

Hardwired I get close to 250, Wifi I only get about 90

Xfinity says they can see 800 at their end coming to my house

the next thing I need to try is a direct wire from the modem to a computer without using Wi-Fi or ethernet switches,

and you’re directly hardwired into the s33? 

Many routers can drop your speed so to test the S33, hardwire a pc/laptop into it and test it direct. Try xfinity’s speedtest site as others sometimes struggle to saturate gigabit. 

s33 is a modem only so test directly off it. without the router connected. 

thank you I will try that

I agree to test using your PC hardwired to the S33. With that said, it sounds like you may be using Google routers? If so, the internet speed you get using Google Home should be quite accurate. If you are running mesh, Google Home won’t give you the mesh speed, though the Google WiFi app did.

Thank you @plemans and @LoveMyLab 

I did the hardwire test and I AM GETTING PAID-FOR 800Mbps (at least) direct from S33!

Can you give me tips improve my network?  My Wi-Fi speed test (right next to wifi) is only 283mbps-

Do I need to change Orbi Settings?

My specifics are below.

1- From S33 I go into a Netgear Orbi MESH System- on main unit and two satellites. 

2- From the Orbi - I use ethernet out ports for some TVs and PCs.

3- I have ethernet 4 port switches in three places to split signal- types below

( ONE- TP-Link 5 Port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch + TWO TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch)

As you mentioned, you are getting good internet speed through direct connection which means the modem S33 is perfectly fine.

Since you are experiencing slow speed internet connection through router, I request you to contact your router’s manufacturer for further assistance.

What orbi do you have? 

what firmware is on it? 

Test wired and wireless speeds. 

I’d also recommend making sure qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and access controls are all off on the orbi. 

Sometimes a factory reset can help. 

(most won’t hit 800mbps over wireless)