Skip to main content
Solved

S33 Xfinity says modem reset 200+ times in the last two days, constant T3 timeouts and packet loss.

• 15 April 2023
  • 6 replies

For the last four weeks now I’ve been having T3 timeouts and packet loss. I was using a SB8200 and was told by xfinity that it could not handle the speeds I am receiving, so I purchased a new S33. After activation I was still getting T3 timeouts and packet loss.

After many tech visits, we’ve replaced all lines and connections from the tap to and through my house to my modem and still I am having issues.

I have checked the various guides and compared levels with what my modem shows and noticed the upstream power levels are slightly below what Arris says they should be, roughly 39-44 dBmV instead of the suggested 45 dBmV+.

I spoke with an Xfinity supervisor today and they informed me that my S33 had reset over 200 times in the last 48 hours and says that their network techs have found no issues up to my tap. So I am wondering if maybe my S33 might be defective or if the slightly low upstream power levels are causing my problems.

those errors indicate line issues. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

You can also post a screensnip of the cable connections page and it can sometimes help too. 

The modem is connected directly through the wall to the tap outside, all connectors and cables have been checked and replaced by multiple technicians in the last 3 weeks.

Here is a screenshot of my power levels. Thanks for the replies!

The line connection page is showing errors too. 

Majority of the time that indicates line issues. Doesn’t mean it can’t be the modem as something internal to it could be loose. 

So you’re a little stuck if they’ve already checked the line a couple times. 

I’ve actually had to rent one of the ISP modems to prove it was their line before. 

Yeah I figured as much. I may have to resort to that at this point. Thanks for the insight!

Good luck!