Skip to main content
Solved

Why does my Arris S33 modem keep resetting out of random?

• 19 July 2023
  • 7 replies

My family bought an Arris S33 Modem and it just keeps randomly resetting and I’m confused by it, we changed the power source to an outlet but it still resets, we keep it cooled as well but it still resets. I’m completely stumped on why it keeps resetting and I need help resolving this issue.

Hi K0t

Since your S33 keeps resetting all the time let me explain the basic difference between resetting and rebooting. 

Rebooting is the process of turning off the device and then turning it back on again.

Resetting is where you do physical troubleshooting on the modem with a paper clip for 30 seconds.

Let's check the led light status of the modem :

If the light travels from blue to green to white (keeps fluctuating) then check the power cable if it’s not facing loose connectivity or try changing the power outlets.

If the light is Solid Blue / Flashing Green then let's check the cable signal levels :

To do a Reset : 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Factory-Reset

To check cable signal levels:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Cable-Signal-Levels

Also do share the reading of the highest and lowest values of downstream channels (Power and SNR) and upstream channels (Power) ;

If you have any further questions or concerns let us know.

Hi, was this ever fixed?  I am having the same issue that started last week with the S33 randomly rebooting multiple times a day.  First around 6:30 am and then at 1:30 pm, 1:45 pm, then again at 2:15 pm then it is okay until 7 pm where it reboots again.  I checked with my ISP and they see the reboots in the logs but it is not coming from them.  Modem is not overheating and power was tested from direct wall connection and from UPS battery system but still does these reboots.  Password is not default as I changed that right after putting in in service.  IP is default as I did not see anywhere to change that.  This is frustrating as I work from home and it happens at the most inconvenient time.

Since the modem is rebooting on its own, have you tried with different outlet with different power cord?

I suggest you to check the modem whether its rebooting without co-axial cable.

While rebooting, let us know the power light goes off?

Have tried the following, different power supply sources, another wall socket and a different UPS but still the same issue.  I do not have another power cord to test with that matches the ARRIS provided one, would probably not use one not supplied by ARRIS as the unit is still under warranty and doing so would void that if something were to happen.  Does not appear to happen without coaxial cable attached. Still happens whether 2.5 or 1 Gb port is used.  Tried different router being attached to see if maybe the router was rebooting the modem, same results. Contacted ISP 15 minutes prior to the modems pattern of reboot times and we monitored it together and they saw it reboot but did not see any reboot single being sent from their end.  They are sending out a tech to test the lines further and he is supposed to be here by the next reboot pattern time. 

This is interesting, the modem says S33 v2 but the web interface says hardware version 1. Does that mean they relabeled a version 1 to look like a version 2?

S33v2

Issue seems to be fixed for now, ISP tech checked all lines and box connections and found nothing. 
I then asked the ISP to reset the assigned IP to MAC address to a different IP just to see and so far the problem of the reboot signal triggering the modem appears to have stopped.  The ISP is looking into where the signal was coming from being sent to the old IP.