Solved

How to disable SIP ALG via SB6121 for use with Voiply internet phone service

• 4 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Trying to set up Voiply’s adapter for using my landline phone to make calls via the internet (VOIP)

I  have an older (~8 years?) Arris SB6121 Modem.

Advice says to try one of a number of internet addresses, log in and after going to Advanced Settings or Application Layer Gateway Settings, uncheck the SIP box.

The problem is I am not prompted to log in when I use the only address that worked (http://192.168.100.1). I am taken to a page that displays the status of various modem items similar to this:

Do I have the ability to ability to disable the SIP ALG functionality using the SB6121? If so, how?

HELP!!

icon

Best answer by plemans 5 January 2023, 03:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6121 is a modem only device. It has zero routing capability. 

What router is it connected to? 

Badge

This may be part of my ignorance/confusion.

• The SB6121 modem is connected to a TP-link 5-Port switch
  • TP-link 5-Port switch has 3 devices connected to it:
    • My desktop
    • A TP-Link Deco M5 mesh wifi
    • Voiply adapter (into which the phone is also plugged)

The Desktop and house laptops (via the TP-link). Since the Voiply adapter is connected to the switch and, by extension, the modem I didn’t think the Deco M5 was relevant.

However, I did try to access the TP-link site (http://192.168.68.250). It did not have an option to disable . Only to upgrade firmware (when available), view system log and/or reboot:

Happy to (try) and answer any other questions.

Thank you - Kevin

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

what tplink switch is it? 
Most isp’s only support 1 public ip address. If its a simple unmanaged switch, running it directly off the modem can cause problems. 

So it should go modem---->deco M5---->switch/devices. 

Or you’ll have issues. 

Badge

TP-link switch model = TL-SG105

I changed the connection sequence as you suggested. The good news is that I now have a solid internet  blue light. Also, I can not identify IP address on the landline phone (192.168.68.110)

The bad news is that I am still getting “Device Not Registered” message when I try to make a call.

If you have any further suggestions I’m all ears. In the meantime I will contact Voiply and see if this progress is enough for them to get me over the finish line.

Thank you for your help.

Badge

Good news for me. Your suggested change in the connection sequence allowed Voiply to resolve the remaining issue.

My VOIP phone is now fully functional.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kevin

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Glad getting it setup in the proper configuration allowed them to get the device working!