Question

Internet dropping once / day SB6141

• 24 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’ve had my self-installed SB6141 for several years.  Up till now has never been a problem.  However I am now seeing my Internet access interrupted roughly once per day.  Installed a new router thinking the problem was Wifi related but now I am not sure.  Router manufacturer is pointing finger at cable modem.

Have already had ISP at house, they replaced cable from their box to the cable modem.

When incident happens my router indicates trouble reaching the Internet - some devices have an internet connection, some do not. 

I power cycle the router and Internet comes back up for all devices.

All lights on cable modem are normal.

Any suggestions?  Thanks - Richard in Allentown, PA - RCN customer, “up to 50 Mbps” services with actual speed test 146.8 Mbps download / 18.2 Mbps upload

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

A couple things. 

• That’s a pretty basic 8x4 modem. Its not going to have the redundancy of a 32x8 modem
  • When it happens, do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page (shows upstream/downstream info) and the logs? that helps check the line and connection
Badge

Will capture them next time it happens & send them along.  What is the recommended product upgrade?  Is it appropriate for the RCN / Astound service that I have?

RC

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you’re looking at upgrading, its more about what service you pay for to pick a decent modem. 

https://www.astound.com/support/internet/bring-your-own-modem/

I’m actually impressed your getting the speeds you are from that modem. 

I’d recommend getting a docsis 3.1 modem as many ISP’s are moving to requiring it (or will in the future). The docsis 3.0 with 32/8  modems used to be good up to gigabit but now they’ve dropped them to 250-400mbps depending on the ISP. I can see that dropping even further in the future. 

Badge
  • When it happens, do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page (shows upstream/downstream info) and the logs? that helps check the line and connection

OK, here are screen shots of the router and cable modem - this PC has retained its connection, not sure about everyone else’s devices.

Badge

Internet went down again this morning.  Some devices are connected, others are not.  Will power cycle router as has been my practice.

RC