Solved

Isp reboot slow speed issue sb6183

• 27 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I have a SB6183 and often have lower internet speeds than my current plan and high latency. When I contacted my provider, they had to reboot service on their side to correct the problem. However, I still have high latency. When I advised him that my ISP had to reboot before and my issue with high latency, he inquired about the age of my modem. I told him it at least 3 years old and he suggested upgrading to on with docsis 3.1. Is he correct? Current plan is 300Mbps. Speed was at 50Mbps before call. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 29 August 2023, 15:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

You should not need to go to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to get 300Mbps. However, I had the experience of working with an ISP that sunset the 250 Mbps plan and when they gave me a choice of 100 or 500, they would not put me on a 500 Mbps plan unless I did go to DOCSIS 3.1. That was about 3 years ago. The Motorola modem I bought has become a little unstable so just replaced it with an Arris Surfboard BS8200 which is on sale as Best Buy for $119 right now. That’s what I would have purchased 3 years ago but none were in stock that day and I had to do something “same day”. 

Badge

Thanks for the reply. The docsis 3.1 was recommended because of the high latency. ISP stated it should be less than 20. I was considering the modem you mentioned or the S33 for potential future upgrades of speed. But, I’m hesitant to buy it in case fiber internet is ever available. Don’t know if a cable and fiber modems are different.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Got a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs? 

Might be a line issue from the isp. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Cable modems are compatible only with coax cable and it is not compatible with fiber connection.